Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Will CPU's break quicker?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
April 1, 2011 10:25:46 AM

Will my CPU break quicker if i overclock it?
Assuming the temp isn't any higher than stock.

More about : cpu break quicker

a c 137 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 1, 2011 11:14:36 AM

If the temps aren't any higher and your not applying any extra voltage, then they should on average both die at the same time.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 1, 2011 11:15:26 AM

Operational lifespan of a CPU is reduced with overclocking, because of the higher temps that result.

But assuming you don't intend to keep your CPU for more than ten years, you have nothing to worry about. Modern CPUs have multi-decade lifespans. Even if you were to chop that in half, it would last long into obsolescence.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 1, 2011 11:23:28 AM

Assuming you keep the temperature under control and keep the voltage at or below the recommended maximum voltage, an overclocked CPU should last long past its useful lifespan.

As an example, I have a launch E6600 (2.4GHz C2D, circa August 2006) that has been overclocked from day one.
It is normally ran at 3.2GHz 1.35v but is taken to 3.6GHz 1.55v when the woman is editing videos or gaming.
After running nearly 5 years under a constant overcock I have had no issues with it and fully expect this CPU to outlast my last LGA775 motherboard.

Basically, have fun overclocking your chip and don't worry about its lifespan!
a c 107 K Overclocking
a c 99 à CPUs
April 2, 2011 12:51:23 AM

outlw6669 said:
...nearly 5 years under a constant overcock I have had no issues with it...

Wow. Most people have problems being under a constant overcock. Way to stick with it...
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
April 2, 2011 1:29:43 AM

I had my old e8400 oc to 4.0 for 4 years and had no problems. The used it in another build I sold and it still works great I did put it back to stock speeds.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 2, 2011 9:22:24 AM

Leaps-from-Shadows said:
Wow. Most people have problems being under a constant overcock. Way to stick with it...

since when?

I very rarely encounter overclock related problems, and when I do they are almost always lacvk of voltage/stability related. Not sure who you have been talking to, but here the overclocks are standard.
a c 137 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 2, 2011 10:03:23 AM

Read it again weLsh. SLower if you need to.
a b à CPUs
April 2, 2011 3:21:06 PM

christop said:
I had my old e8400 oc to 4.0 for 4 years and had no problems. The used it in another build I sold and it still works great I did put it back to stock speeds.

LOL that cpu is merely 3 years old. Don't give FUD.
a c 198 K Overclocking
a c 173 à CPUs
April 2, 2011 3:25:14 PM

Stay inside the manufacturer's recommended voltage-thermal envelope and short of a "sh!t happens" failure, the system will be long obsolete before it fails from overclocking effects.
April 2, 2011 9:57:03 PM

You can hit the Amd or Intel web site and check your cpu's max stats then oc. I have been running a 2.66 woffdale chip at 3.2 for a while. If your mobo has downloadable software that will oc. automaticly use it as a guide.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 3, 2011 10:21:47 AM

4745454b said:
Read it again weLsh. SLower if you need to.

oh, wow that made me seem retarded :/ 

I hate text only forums :( 
April 3, 2011 2:02:45 PM

Odds are the stock speeds of your CPU + intels crap cooler will result in the same temperatures of a decent overclock + a nice CPU heatsink.

Providing you don't over volt the CPU you should be fine.