May 10, 2009
Specs:

PII 720
schythe mugen 2 cooler
GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P
ATI 4890
WD black 640gb x2
corsair 750w psu
specific memory: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK - Retail

History:

All parts brand new. CPU had 2 bent pins which I straightened without breaking. Everything installed fine and it booted into BIOS the first try. Messed around in BIOS for a while, left it on for a day to make sure it was stable on a basic level. CPU temp ~32 C idle.

Problem:

Tried to install Windows 7 RC on brand new HDD.
1) Installation with boot dvd, changed boot settings in BIOS but startup hung on "Boot from CD/DVD:_" (blinking curser). I tried to boot from the DVD on my older computer and I just got hung up on the blinking curser. I thought it might be the optical drive, but maybe its the DVD. However, see 2).
2) Installation from USB flash drive, "Problem loading operating system" error. This led me to believe it was just a problem with Windows 7, so I tried my HDD with XP.

Took a 120gb WD HDD out of my 5 yo computer with XP installed. Starts up but I get a BSoD at the XP splash and it goes into a restart loop. It doesn't stay on the BSoD long enough for me to see what the stop code is. Works fine on my older computer.

After 2 or 3 restarts it wouldn't turn on at all. Had to reset the CMOS with a jumper on the mobo, then it started up fine. I've tried it with default BIOS settings as well as the settings I messed around with.

Tried with 2 sticks of 2gb ram as well as each stick individually.

So I can boot into the BIOS fine, but I can't get past that. I've spent hours trying everything I can think of, I've read the internet and I can't find anything that works. I'm desperate for help.

drunknmunkys

Distinguished
May 10, 2009

I did. I'll try reburning the disc.

Yes I set the timings to 5-5-5-15.

You need to do more than just set the timings. You need to make sure the speed is set correctly and set the voltage to 2.1v. I'm guessing the problem is with your burn of the Windows 7 disk. I would burn it at the slowest speed possible. Did you download it directly from Microsoft, or did you use a torrent site? I've heard rumors of trojans and stuff in some of the ones available on the torrent sites. You can download it directly from Microsoft here:

http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/Windows-7/download.aspx

drunknmunkys

Distinguished
May 10, 2009

I'll set the voltage to 2.1v. I also changed the clock to x5.33 (1066) from x4.00 (800). Is that correct?

I downloaded it from Microsoft's website last week, I'm reburning the disc now. I don't know why it wouldn't boot from my flash drive though if it was a dvd problem.

drunknmunkys

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
I'm trying to burn the boot disc in Roxio. When I create the bootable disk and select the .iso file, it burns the DVD with the .iso file and a file called BOOTCAT.BIN. Am I doing this the right way? I can't really find any other way to do it.

DVD optical drive and 2 HDDS all recognized correctly in BIOS btw

EDIT: same problem...hangs up on Boot from CD/DVD:_

It doesn't ask if I want to boot from cd/dvd, just says ^^ and sits there. I can't type 'y' or anything.

drunknmunkys

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
It was the DVD. Burning the bootable dvd with Roxio Easy DVD Creator didn't work, but I downloaded Imgburner and it worked like a charm.

/Case closed