Computer won't boot...help!!!!

rbk88

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
I just built a desktop and it's been less than a week. Today I was actually using it just fine for about 2 hours then shut it off. I come back later tonight, try to boot, and nothing. When I press the power button, everything lights up (case fans spin, cpu fans spin, graphics card spins, etc) however I get no signal on my monitor. All that happens is the computer trying to boot yet there is no signal on my monitor and my graphics card fan keeps spinning up and down. Then the whole system will shut off, and then turn itself back on, repeating the cycle. When I was overclocking and trying to figure out what voltage to use, the computer would turn off and on a couple times but would eventually boot at least into the BIOS when i would have the voltage too low. This time, I get no signal at all so I don't think it's with my overclock settings. Another thing I noticed was that the HDD light doesn't light up and I don't hear the hard drive really getting started. So guys, what do you think it is?? Is it my graphics card (the fan spinning up and down) or maybe my hard drive isn't booting? Mobo? Any opnions would be appreciated because i'm really frustrated right now...

my components:
Gigabyte Ep-45-ud3L
E8400 CPU
4770 Sapphire HD Radeon
1tb Samsung spinpoint 32mb cache
Antec 900 case

manicmalki

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
Pull memory and see if you get a no memory beep code. Reseat the proc if you get the beep code, but it sounds like it may have fried.

rbk88

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
ok so the second time I pulled a stick of RAM out it finally booted. But after it booted, I put the stick of ram back in and booted and it works now. Anyone have any ideas why this may have been the case? Should I RMA the ram?

rbk88

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
The voltage is rated at 2.1 and I believe that is what it is set at. In the BIOS, it's set at 1.8V but I read somewhere that the computer adds 0.3V or something like that. In CPUZ under EPP#1 it says 2.100 V so I beleive that is correct. My powersupply is 500W OCZ stealthxstream and my RAM is 2x2GB Corsair 8500C5 (1066mhz ram).

rbk88

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
Ok so I have to manually change it to 2.1V? I think in the actual BIOS it shows its rated at 1.8V but I know that Corsair rated it at 2.1V. I"ll give it a try but you think that is what caused that strange problem? The computer is running fine now, it was just that one issue

Not having your RAM set correctly can cause all sorts of problems. I don't know if it was causing your problems or not, but it's always a good idea to manually set the RAM specs in the BIOS. It's also a good idea to run memtest86+ overnight to test for RAM errors on your new build. www.memtest.org