Final Cuts or Adobe Premier Best Choice

G

I have been getting into various discussions with people (even brought up here yesterday SSD vs HDD RAID0), as to what the best configuration is; but I feel like I'm not getting straight answers.

If one is using a video editing program, as a media/scratch disk, what is better to use? The SSD or a HDD RAID 0? Some people have said that SSD is not as good because of the constant read/write (something that most SSDs hiccup at), however some people say that new SSD drives (RunCore Pro V to be precise) get over these hurdles.

Does anyone have experience? As a media disk are the new SSDs good? Or do HDD RAID 0 still out perform these?

Thank you

Solution
For media editing, a drive with fast transfer rates is typically what you need rather than one with fast access times. Fast hard drives in RAID can provide comparable transfer rates to an SSD, and probably at a cheaper cost (particularly if you consider cost per GB).

But watch out for RAID 5 - you'd certainly never want to use it as a scratch disk because it has very poor write performance.
I'm just as confused and frustrated as you are. Ive read entirely too many ssd technical reviews and articles this past week. I typically found discussions about using ssd as a media/scratch disk in forums rather than technical reviews. The discussions in the forums went every which way. I got the impression with newer ssd's it was okay.

I have a question for you. You mentioned the RunCore Pro V. Do you know of a vendor in the USA? I came up blank when I googled.

EDIT - Disregard my question. I found a tiny "where to buy" link at the RunCore web site. Slapping myself upside the head for not checking their web site!

G

Shame for not checking earlier :p I have a slight update though Im taking it slightly with a grain of salt. I spoke to an engineer at CalDigit and an engineer at OCZ, and both seem to think that while the new SSDs wont suffer from the same crap the old ones did (ergo making them faster then RAID HDDs), they still are not worth the money as a media drive. They say they are best as a boot drive.

That being said, does anyone have any experience with RAID 0+1 vs RAID 5 testing when it comes to Final Cut?

For media editing, a drive with fast transfer rates is typically what you need rather than one with fast access times. Fast hard drives in RAID can provide comparable transfer rates to an SSD, and probably at a cheaper cost (particularly if you consider cost per GB).

But watch out for RAID 5 - you'd certainly never want to use it as a scratch disk because it has very poor write performance.

Solution