Sign in with
Your question

Bad Memory Module- What ram to buy, How do I overclock i5-750 ?

Last response: in Overclocking
April 1, 2011 4:36:36 PM

I recently bought a computer on craigslist for $350, the guy said that it would randomly crash. Here are the specs:

Intel Core i5-750 @ 2.67 Ghz
BIOSTAR TH55 HD (H55 southbridge)
Corsair XMS 3 DDR3 1333MHZ (4 GB)
500 Watt Apevia case/PSU combo
1tb HDD
ATI RAdeon HD 3970 (512 Mbytes)

When I looked at the os properties (64bit win 7) it said 4gb installed (1.99gb uasable). I assumed this was the issue and bought the computer. When I got home I did a bios memory test and one stick had 8 errors and froze after the 4th test, the second test passed all tests with no errors.

I'm getting RMA from corsair but I really want to upgrade the ram and video card and overclock the machine to run really good, but I don't know if I have any bottlenecking issues or not.

My biostar motherboard says it can handle DDR3 1333/1600 (OC)/ 2000 (OC) dual channel. I know nothing about memory, so I just searched newegg for "best rating" and it gave me the G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL and I couldn't find any recent articles about the difference of 1600 and 2000 speed Ram.

I was also thinking about squeezing some money together to buy the GTX 560 ti, yet I might just settle with the GTX 460 b/c its half the price and probably not half the quality of the 560 ti.

Please let me know what you think would be best.

Thanks,

Ben
a b } Memory
a c 100 K Overclocking
April 1, 2011 9:15:31 PM

Yeah pretty good choices both. 1600mhz RAM gives a decent amount of headroom for overclocking, you can use 200 base clock and then set the CPU to anything from 3.4 to 4.2ghz (200mhz steps). If you can find CL8 1600mhz RAM it'll be a bit better but really, not a big deal.

A 460 is a fine card, what resolution are you at? You might consider a 6870, or the 550 Ti as well. It's worth checking reviews of each and pick the best one, considering price of course. Last years hardware is still perfectly good and now it's nice and cheap so... yeah. 460 might be a great choice for you.
m
l
April 1, 2011 10:54:13 PM

I just bought the Samsung 27'' 1ms monitor... syncmaster p2770HD. I believe I should be at 1920x1080 but when I play black ops it goes into a 1024 x 768. I'm not really sure why this happens.

I was also thinking about switching out the stock cpu cooler for something with a bigger fan maybe? Is this a dumb idea? waste of money? or would it actually be important?

I got this monitor from costco so I have 90 days to return it... I was thinking about going with TWO 21'' monitors for the same price, but i'm starting to kinda like the big screen; i'm just not sure if the screen is going to "bottleneck" my performance or not.

What i'm really trying to do, my main goal is to be able to play battlefield 2 bad company and have it be as flawless as possible. I really don't like the lag that I am getting when a big explosion or multiple battles take place. I also play black ops, but not as much. I just want to know if a gtx 460 would be able to handle battlefield 2 bad company at highest settings on my big 27'' monitor. I also want it to be able to handle Battlefield 3 when it comes out. If it can't handle the pressure, I will wait till I can buy something that will :) 

Thanks for your help,

Ben
m
l
Related resources
April 2, 2011 2:54:23 AM

Its most likely that black ops is automatically setting the resolution to 1024 x 768 at default, so all you have to do is flick it up to 1920x1080 in the options. Apevia PSU's are absolutely useless, as they are made of less than stellar parts. So if youre gonna buy a new card it would be best to buy a new PSU to go along with it. The 6870 is more powerful than the gtx 460 but less that the 560ti. Depends on your budget and whether youre going to crossfire as well. All of those cards should be able to handle BFBC2 at 1920x1080 and most likely BF3 as well. A screen wont bottleneck your performance, but a low resolution will so remember to raise the resolution in the options menu of your games
m
l
April 2, 2011 2:57:42 AM

also when windows says it only has 1.99gb usable its because you have windows 32 bit which can only handle 4gb max. If you buy a 64 bit windows then it can handle practically limitless amounts of ram (limited by the motherboard of course)
m
l
April 2, 2011 3:41:36 AM

Thanks for the info about black ops, it totally worked. Unfortunately my Radeon 3970 is almost locking up at certain points of the game ha.
\

I'm just curious about the PSU because this 500w psu has two dedicated connectors for a more advanced video card. I guess my question is what kind of difference is there going to be just as long as it has the dedicated power for each part?

As far as the memory goes, I have definitely read that 32bit windows 7 only supports 4gb or ram.

I am running 64 bit windows 7 and my memtest showed that one of my 2gb sticks had 8 errors and then a fatal error that froze the process and failed with a normal boot yielding my BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH. anyways, i'll try to send back my corsair ram and see what they find out.

thank,

Ben
m
l
!