Your question

Newbie to RAID, questions about Black Magic Intensity Pro editing card

Tags:
  • NAS / RAID
  • Hard Drives
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
January 20, 2011 11:41:01 PM

According to Black Magic's website, the hard drive(s) have to be capable of writing... 120mb/s I think? Edit* Meant 120mb/s I think.

I've only ever just run several HDDs, with no RAID. But Black Magic says I need to run HDDs in RAID in order to achieve this performance.

So now I have several questions:

1) Are SSDs capable of achieving that write speed without RAID?
2) If I do need to RAID my HDDs, is my system capable of doing RAID? For instance, would I have enough power?

Specs:
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
Asus Crosshair IV Formula
Sapphire 6870
8 gigs DDR3 1600 ram
Windows 7 64-bit
Corsair TX850

3) Would software or hardware RAID suit my purposes best?
4) I use my PC for gaming mostly. I literally have over 500GBs of games installed at any one time. Is it possible to keep my current HDD with OS and games installed on it separate from the new RAID?
5) Which versions of RAID would provide me with the necessary speed and most security?
6) Would I need specific types of performance out of the HDDs I use in the RAID?

More about : newbie raid questions black magic intensity pro editing card

a c 324 G Storage
January 21, 2011 1:51:42 PM

0) What's Black Magic? Ahh, vidcap.
1) Yes. But an SSD is very expensive per megabyte, and you will either spend a fortune or get a small amount of space. Video is big. There are quite a few hard drives that will write consistently at 120 MB/S (Capital B is bytes, lower-case is bits). Check out the latest drive reviews on Tom's.
2) ? dunno
3) Hardware RAID is more expensive, but software RAID puts a burden on your CPU. Which suits your purposes best depends on what you will be doing with that video data. If you're going to do massive video edits, HW RAID is a must.
4) Yes.
5) Raid 0 gives you speed and less security. Raid 1 gives you more security (it will survive a single drive failure) but no increase in write speed. Raid 0+1 will give you both, but require four disks.
6) Not really, but if RAID 0 doubled your performance, you would need disks at least half as fast as your total need.

Well, that was the answers to what was asked. Now for my personal opinions.

First, RAID is a big investment in time and learning. If you do that for fun, why not? If you absolutely need the throughput, why not? Otherwise, why?

Second, the only thing that I see you needing to be able to do is record video capture. Could you provide more information on what you will be doing? If you're going to take up video editing, you will have huge needs. If all that you are ever going to do with the captured video is play it back, or burn DVDs, then you don't have huge needs.

If you could provide a link or quote for where exactly Black Magic says that, someone here could make a better evaluation of the claim. And take a quick peek here for available spinning-platter performance: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/2tb-hard-drive-cons...
m
l
January 22, 2011 9:11:57 AM

I plan on doing movie and game reviews in HD, uploading to a friend's site as well as youtube. I was planning on using the Black Magic to record gameplay from various consoles or bluray movies, then using my CS4 to edit them as I needed. I'm a new to that as well, but it's a bit easier to wrap my head around than RAID.

I received the 120MB/s statistic just from lurking around old forums concerning the Intensity Pro card I was looking at. I've also heard 1GB/m, but when I asked Black Magic directly, they simply sent me links to their operation manual and FAQs which don't really answer my technical questions. To be more specific though, I saw this stat at :
http://www.amazon.com/Blackmagic-Design-Intensity-Pro-E...

Thanks for the response.

Edit:

I understand that the reason for needing RAID is to record the incoming HD data which I understand to be taxing, but how is it that my FRAPS program can record in 1080p without needing RAID?

Is there any other card or way to jury rig a setup to record HD(1080p) that doesn't require RAID?
m
l
January 22, 2011 1:05:32 PM

Squee,
As a Video Professional you shouldn't need to have a raid array that will read and write at 120MB's, that might be a specification for full HD uncompressed video which you will never do! If your compressing it using the blackmagic codec you should be fine. For example DV is 3.5MB's my $20k Sony PMW-350k only records at 35MB's.

So you see your card probably can record full uncompressed because my Decklink Extreme had that option but i never used it because of HD space limitations. 1 hour of uncompressed SD video was over 60GB if i remember right, HD uncompressed would be astronomical.

Here's a thought why not just buy the card and put it in you computer and try it out if you need more speed/space then add the raid array later...

One last comment if you do use a raid do not use raid 0. You get no security if you lose 1 drive you lose everything. Raid 1 is good for safety and reading but you get no increase in write speeds. I personally have a 16 drive raid array in Raid 6. (I can read and write at somewhere around 1000MB's (1GB's)

Pc-Pitstop.com is a good place to look for raid enclosures if you need one. I bought mine from them. They are probably out of you pricerange but you can get an idea of whats out there at least. Look for the 2-4 drive sata enclosures.

Hope this helps
m
l
January 22, 2011 4:27:27 PM

Thanks for the response.

As I was looking at forum posts and reviews about the Intensity, I was informed that the Intensity is only capable of recording in uncompressed format. So that is not the case? If not, it would save me a lot of grief.

Are RAIDs always in a separate enclosure?
m
l
a b G Storage
January 23, 2011 5:42:36 PM

flyhiloone said:
Squee,

One last comment if you do use a raid do not use raid 0. You get no security if you lose 1 drive you lose everything. Raid 1 is good for safety and reading but you get no increase in write speeds. I personally have a 16 drive raid array in Raid 6. (I can read and write at somewhere around 1000MB's (1GB's)

Hope this helps

I'd have to disagree with that.
I agree with most of what you said but a 2disc raid 0 would be fine. Provided its not for long term storage.
m
l
a c 84 G Storage
February 14, 2011 7:30:39 PM

Here is test result that this hardware raid enclosure can offer different VIDEO resolution in Blackmagic

Is this what you need?
m
l
February 15, 2011 5:37:58 PM

I was just curious if there were single hard drive solutions to using Black Magic instead of RAID, or if RAID was absolutely necessary, which configuration would be best.
m
l
a c 84 G Storage
February 15, 2011 6:19:00 PM

squee116 said:
I was just curious if there were single hard drive solutions to using Black Magic instead of RAID, or if RAID was absolutely necessary, which configuration would be best.

Of course you can use a SINGLE drive. With Blackmagic the function of transfer rate is the video mode you can capture/edit

For DVD quality you can use a single drive eSATA/SATAII host - do not get the combo enclosure, b/c there is bridge inside. this may add latency to the SATAII bus

As you can see 1080p and 720p demand lot more speed.

Remember video quality dictates the transfer speed of your drive.
m
l
!