Case Recommendation

caggles

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
Hey all

I'm building my own computer for the first time, and I've done enough research on parts to make my head spin... but I'm having some trouble figuring out which cases are good.

Here are the internal bits of my build:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 3.0GHz (AM2+)
MoBo: ASUS 790GX
Video: Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB
PSU: Corsair 12V 750W
RAM: PNY 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2
HD: Western Digital 640GB SATA

For an extra $85 I can upgrade to an AM3 build with almost exactly the same specs (listing only the parts that would change):
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 3.2GHz (AM3)
MoBo: ASUS 790GX
RAM: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3

What kind of case do you recommend for this build? Recommending a specific case is okay, but generalized recommendations would be ideal, because I want to buy from retail to avoid paying the ridiculous shipping prices (and obviously the selection in retail isn't the same as on the web). And would the upgrade the AM3 make a difference in your case recommendation?

Also, do you recommend the upgrade to AM3?

Thanks very much!!

Caggles

edit: not sure if it's required information, but just so you guys know, it's intended to be for gaming/programming with the possibility of small-scale physics simulations in the future, so I'll be pushing it pretty hard pretty often.

Cpt Deadboots

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Anything by Cooler Master - the cases by them that I have worked with (Centurion-5 series) have been extremely high-quality, especially for the price. I'd recommend any Centurion 5 from my own experience, but their higher-end cases are probably even better (if you've got the budget).

I'd recommend the upgrade to AM3. It's suposedly good through 2010 (at least), so it should support a future processor upgrade if you see need to do so.

What's your budget for a case if you go with the AMD 3 ?

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
Look on newegg.com for cases with free shipping, there are some really good ones there. A budget would be helpful, there are some great cases out there but are possibly too expensive.

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008

caggles

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
Well, I'm hoping to spend somewhere in the $100 range (preferably no more than $150). In Canadian $$

I've been looking at some local stuff, and the prices tend to be better than the online prices + shipping. There's a Tiger Direct store in my town, so I imagine they get pretty good shipping prices when bringing stuff in from themselves :p But I'll definitely check out the ones with free shipping :)

Thanks for the suggestions so far :)

wolf2

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
I have used two cases with recent build (both from Gigabyte)

-Gigabyte 3D Aurora (High-end)
-Gigabyte Setto 1000 (Low-Med end)

good luck.

TRENDING THREADS