Sign in with
Your question
Solved

SD Cards Anygood to increase your Netbooks storage ?

Last response: in Storage
January 21, 2011 12:32:58 AM

Hello everyone,

I have a HP Mini 1116NR netbook. It has a Stock 16 GB Sandisk ZIF SSD (These are not as fast as SATA SSDs).

I run Linux mint on it, because Windows XP really moves like a snail in this one. Although I am pretty happy with the performance of this Netbook under Linux, I am thinking to increse the storage space by introducing a 16 GB SDHC Card.

My question is are SDHC cards slower than Flash media. Also how do they fair against Spining Medai? Will it slow down the system performance if I install progs in it and try to run ?

Thank you for your help.

Best solution

a c 289 G Storage
January 21, 2011 1:34:37 PM

Typical laptop hard drive transfer speeds: 60 to 90 MB/Sec read and write. (Source: Tom's charts, top half of the transfer rate charts).

Typical Flash thumbdrive, same source: 30 to 70 MB/Sec read, with a couple of fabulous drives at 120 MB/Sec (wow!). Write: 7 to 70 MB/Sec read, with the same fab exception.

Top-end SDHC card (Class 10): 80 MB/Sec read, 10 MB/Sec write. Yes, I wrote 10 MB/Sec write.

So here's my guess: Running from it will actually work, although be slower than your SSD (I don't know how fast that SSD is, but it's probably faster than a platter, or why would they put in a more expensive part?) Installation to it will be slow and boring, and having data on it will be a mistake.

This is not based on any personal experience.
January 21, 2011 1:42:43 PM

Best answer selected by shiningdream.
m
l
January 21, 2011 1:43:16 PM

Wonderful! Thank you for the info :) 
m
l
Related resources
!