Sign in with
Your question

Component advice for editing computer

Last response: in Components
August 26, 2009 7:59:33 PM

Hey there guys!!
I have been searching through the forums here for a while trying to compile some information as far as what I want to build for my first ever computer.. And I finally decided that I just needed to come out and just ask my questions..

To start out, I am into video editing and until now I have only been able to work with Windows movie maker on a old laptop :(  .. but I have worked with Vegas at school and have decided that I am going to build this computer to run Vegas as my editing program of choice, and I am currently not shooting in HD but would like to some time in the future.. and I am going to run Vista 64-bit so that I can use as Much RAM as possible.. My budget is somewhere around the $800 mark.. so any help with my questions would be appreciated...

So I have decided on a Quad Core Intel and have found combo deals on Newegg with either the Intel Q9400 or the Q9550 and the ASUS P5Q PRO Mobo.. there is a $30 diffenence between them, SO my question is, would it be worth the $30 to jump from the 2.66HGz 9400 to the 2.83GHz 9550?

Then I am going to be running 8GB of Kingston DDR2 RAM..

My next questions come in the form of Hard drives, I was going to run a 10,000 RPM boot Drive with either a raid array of two storage drives or a single TB drive.. but then realized that 10k RPM drives are way expensive, SO I want opinions on what I should do for a HDD situation??

Next It a Graphics card? I am pretty clueless here.. I dont do any gaming, (just stupid online ones :D  ) But I know that I will be running dual monitors,nothing huge or super high quality or large.. but I may even be dabbling into running the computer with our HDTV as a monitor.. and I would be editing so I am clueless as to where I land in the realm of graphics cards.. I know you can drop a ton on them, or get buy with integrated... but I just want opinions on what I need..

And I really don't do much for audio editing, but I do listen to a ton of music on my computer and have it hooked up to a decent stereo system.. so DO I need a sound card? I havn't done any research on them and I just figured you could get something cheap there..

I will be running a regular DVD/CD drive... nothing to special I need there right?

And I believe I have covered everything except for the case/PSU I figured that A 650W or so would be fine.. Right?
and If I could find a case/PSU combo that would be fine.. I really am not that worried about looks for this computer.. I just want something that runs cool and stable.. and I also wanted to ask if you guys thought I needed any extra fans to move air and keep everything cool.. and I am on a budget.. so this is one where I know you guys could help..

So here is my build so far..

Intel Q9400/P5Q or Q9550/P5Q $290- $310

4GB(2X2GB) Kingston RAM X2 $60x2=$120

so like I said I am shooting for right around $800 or so.. not super tight on that but Around there would be nice.. so thanks in advice guys!!
August 26, 2009 8:09:57 PM

on the drives well the 10k drives are pushing the 3 yr age mark any modern 7200rpm drive would be jus as good take a look at the western digital's or the brand new samsung f3 drives as for graphics well a nvidia 260gtx or ati 4870 would be a good choice with dual monitors most current mother boards come with good onboard sound case its up too a personal choice really see what you like and see if it has good cooling and a decent 500watt will power this unless you wanna go dual graphics cards in future
but intel is gonna drop the socket 775 from production soon so hold on a bit till the i5's are out in a few weeks or consider newer amd stuff
August 26, 2009 8:16:22 PM

Judging by those prices...are you buying in Canada? If you're ordering from a website not in Canada could you post your preferred place to order from.
Related resources
August 26, 2009 8:23:19 PM

obsidian86 said:
on the drives well the 10k drives are pushing the 3 yr age mark any modern 7200rpm drive would be jus as good take a look at the western digital's or the brand new samsung f3 drives as for graphics well a nvidia 260gtx or ati 4870 would be a good choice with dual monitors most current mother boards come with good onboard sound case its up too a personal choice really see what you like and see if it has good cooling and a decent 500watt will power this unless you wanna go dual graphics cards in future
but intel is gonna drop the socket 775 from production soon so hold on a bit till the i5's are out in a few weeks or consider newer amd stuff

I was thinking about running a 10k boot drive to run the OS and then 7200 drives in a raid array as storage drives.. but i am not totally sure yet..

Thanks for the graphics cards... gives me a price point for the cards..

I have no reason to go dual Graphics cards.. like I said, I dont game and I would think a single card would be fine for my editing.. and good I wont bother with a sound card if the mobo sound is good enough .

And if intel is going to drop the 775 then what mobo would you run? I have read good things about the P5Q but its the 775...

and the i5 is still a quad-core right? what socket would it use?
August 26, 2009 8:28:21 PM

lucuis said:
Judging by those prices...are you buying in Canada? If you're ordering from a website not in Canada could you post your preferred place to order from.

those prices are coming straight from Newegg.. I have no preference in sites.. just that's where I ended up..
August 26, 2009 8:28:25 PM

the i5's will run a completely new mother board socket 1156 with ddr3 ram there wil be i5 duals an i5 quads (lower spec i7)and i meant as in intel wont be producing anymore core2 processors anymore it wont have any new processors made for them wich makes core2 a dead end path if you wanna upgrade in future
August 26, 2009 8:39:44 PM

obsidian86 said:
the i5's will run a completely new mother board socket 1156 with ddr3 ram there wil be i5 duals an i5 quads (lower spec i7)and i meant as in intel wont be producing anymore core2 processors anymore it wont have any new processors made for them wich makes core2 a dead end path if you wanna upgrade in future

Ok I get it.. but for my sake, waiting for the i5 quad would be more expensive.. you know that a i5 quad+ a 1156 mobo + DDR3 RAM will be waay more expensive then my $400ish mobo/processor/ram combo.. so I dont know.. I would like to do Intel but I am unsure.. excluding the upgrade ability in the feature, would the i5 be that much better you suppose?
August 26, 2009 9:02:46 PM

the i5 would be a big step up over core2 but then again when the i5 is out core2 prices will drop
August 26, 2009 9:59:49 PM

i5 is not that big of a step from the Yorkfields. The Yorkfields are still a great value and perform very well. I just helped a friend put together a new machine. He got a Q9550, 4gb ram, and gigabyte mobo for about ~400 Canadian. All sale prices though.
August 26, 2009 11:13:57 PM

yea newegg had the Q9550/ Asus P5Q pro for $300 and then its $120 for 8gb of RAM.. I am honestly think I want to stay with the Q9550 and if I want to upgrade in a few years, I will bite the bullet and upgrade the whole Mobo and DDR3 RAM then.. by that time I will probably want a entire new setup anyways..
!