OCZ SSD for an old system

Hi All,
6 Months ago I bought a SATA II SSD (OCZ Vertex 30GB) in order to attach it to a future build system (which I only recently ordered - i5-2400S SB system).
Now, when I see the performance, capacities and prices of the current SSD models It seems like I should buy a new one for the new system and maybe use the previously bought one to my old system.

The setup of the old system is - (Used mostly to internet surfing, low-graphic games, storage)
CPU - AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-K8NF9-Ultra (see the specification here)
Memory - 3GB PC3200 DDR
GPU - Nvidia GeForce 6600GT
Storage - WD 1TB Green HDD + Old WD 200GB HDD
PSU - Arctic Cooling 350W

The setup of the new system is - (Used as HTPC/Mid-Level Gaming system
CPU - Intel Core i5-2400S 2.50GHz - 65W
CPU Cooler - Scythe Big Shuriken Low Profile CPU Cooler SCBSK-1000
MOB - Gigabyte GA-H67MA-UD2H
SSD - ?
HDD - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA x 2
GPU - (Optional) - might add a passive Sapphire HD5670 1GB Ultimate Edition for the gaming purpose
PSU - Enermax Modu87+ 500W
Case - Silverstone Grandia GD05 (3x120mm fans)
Memory - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1333 CL8
DVD/BR - Asus External DVDRW SDRW-08D1S

Now, the question is - what will be the optimal use of the SSD? will I add it to the old system (OS, Apps) or add it to the new system? or, will I buy a new SSD for the new system? If the latter option is the solution, which one (64GB/90GB) will be the optimal SSD for me (Crutial RealSSD C300??) ?
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about system
  1. Anyone can contribute from his experience on this one?
  2. My advice would be to use it for the new system OS, Apps, some progs.
    I have the 64g Crucial, and only about 20g is used for Win7 64. Greatly improve boot time and load time for newer games. Don't really see a need for you to spend money to speed up your old system boot/loads if you won't be using it much. Besides that, new systems always tend to make one apt to buy new stuff for them.
  3. Best answer
    Unless you need the speed on your old system, I'd say put your SSD in the new build. If you decide to buy a new SSD, keep this in mind: Intel and OCZ will be releasing their newest SSDs with SATA III (6Gbps) support very soon, might want to wait and have a look. Unless you want to take advantage of reduced prices on current generation drives.
  4. Use the 30GB to try out SSDs and if you like it, go out and buy a new one when the next generation of models is out.
  5. Well, I'll stick with the idea of trying to attach the 30GB SSD to the new system and verify if it's enough for now ...
    If the new to come SSDs worth it, I'll buy one, bigger, faster ...
    Thanks for all of you.
  6. Best answer selected by lirsch.
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Storage