Sign in with
Your question

High Temps on the Phenom II x4 955 BE

Last response: in Overclocking
April 2, 2011 1:07:17 AM

Hi guys,

I have a cooler master elite 430 cabinet with a Phenom II x4 955 BE 3.2 ghz cpu. I have also bought the cooler master hyper 212 plus cooler for it with Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste but the problem is I am getting high temps even at idle. My temps at idle are 37 degrees and the chasis temps are 31 degrees.

I have installed cooler master 120mm case fans:

1 120mm (front intake)
1 120mm (side intake)
1 120mm (bottom intake)
1 120mm (top exhaust)
1 120mm Scythe Kaze Zyuni 1900rpm high speed fan (rear exhaust)
1 cooler master hyper 212 plus on the CPU

Please tell me If I need to change anything!!!!! I am really worried as I need to overclock my CPU. Before that I need to get my temps down.

More about : high temps phenom 955

April 2, 2011 1:12:10 AM

I checked the voltage using the CPU-Z. the voltage is 1.344 and within a few seconds. it changes to 1.36. I don't know what is going on.

However, I have changed the voltage manually to 1.30 under the bios settings but this did not affect my temps. They are still at 37 degrees.
m
l
April 2, 2011 4:32:28 AM

I used Arctic Silver 5. First I filled the gaps between the gaps on the hyper 212 plus heat sink. Then I drew two lines on the heat sink and then thinly evened the surface of the cpu with the paste and then fit the heat sink. Was that wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and one more thing, the temps in my city is 36 degrees celcius (summer).
m
l
Related resources
April 2, 2011 5:21:25 AM

filled the gaps means as I am using a cooler master hyper 212 plus heatsink, there would be small gaps between the heatsink's surface and the copper heat pipe's. So I filled them with the thermal paste and then drew two lines on the heatsink's surface and also evened the paste on the cpu evenly.

Is the method correct or is it too much of thermal paste!!!!!!!!!!!! Please tell me. I have also undervolted the CPU from 1.36 to 1.30.
m
l
April 2, 2011 8:47:38 PM

I have this same set up but I OC'd my 955BE to 4.0 Ghz. I am seeing temps around 27*C idle and max around 48*C. I used the TIM that came with the 212+ using a similar method to you. I applied the TIM to the base/pipes and scraped across with a credit card to create a flat surface and fill in the gaps between the pipes and baseplate. I then put two SMALL lines about 1/3 from each side. The only thing I can think of is AS5 curing time or too much TIM applied. Try re-applying or just waiting for it to settle and see if there is any difference.

Edit: What kind of Case do you have and how is your airflow? Also, how did you orient the heatsink/fan? I fave my fan towards the front side of my case drawing air over my memory and exhausting it towards the rear.
m
l
April 3, 2011 2:26:22 AM

Ok, as suggested. I have re-applied the AS5 thermal paste by filling the gaps between the heat pipes using a credit card and also applied a very thin layer of the paste on the CPU as well. Is that ok now.

I should probably wait for 200 hrs as the break in period of the paste is over 200 hrs.

and the case which I use is Cooler Master Elite 430 and the airflow in may case is :

1 120mm Cooler Master Blue LED front intake
1 120mm Cooler Master Bottom intake
1 120mm Cooler Master Side intake
1 120mm Cooler Master Top Exhaust
1 120mm Scythe Kaze - Zyuni High speed 1900 rpm fan rear exhaust

I also have the hyper 212 plus fan towards the front side of my case drawing air over my memory and exhausting it towards the rear.

Should I change any setup of the airflow in my case.
m
l
April 3, 2011 3:10:09 AM

we have the same processor and casing i have the same temp... they say thats normal... check your ambient temp, always add 7-9c to your ambient temp and that will be the temp of your processor when idle!
m
l
April 3, 2011 3:19:00 AM

Good to know. Hey have you overclocked your 955 BE because I want to overclock it too. I know to increase the multiplier but the thing is the voltages will be set automatically to 1.46 or 1.47 if I I change the multiplier to 19x. Right now I have not yet overclocked the processor but I undervolted it to 1.30 from 1.36. Please suggest me something.
m
l
April 3, 2011 3:59:15 PM

you should be able to hit 3.8ghz at 1.4v, anything above that generally requires a much higher bump in vcore.

What is the ambient temp of the room? 37C isn't bad if you're room is ~26-29C. Temperatures should *always* be compared to the ambient room temperature and not solely the CPU/mobo temps.

If a room is 10C and the CPU is running at 40C idle then there's likely a problem. If the room is at 30C and the CPU is at 40C idle then it's fine and the room is too hot.
m
l
April 3, 2011 4:32:54 PM

You don't need to worry. Stop freaking out with all your posts haha. I have exact same setup. 955 in a elite 430 with hyper 212.

Your case has a BUTTLOAD of airflow. Too much if anything. Make sure you dust it out at least once a month with all that air passing through.
Sounds like you also did a good job setting your heatsink up! :ange: 

The hyper 212+ will cool your CPU down a lot, making OC easier.

The reason why you see the multiplier dropping in windows is because cool'n'quiet is working. It drops the multiplier when idle so it reduces your power consumption. Disable it when you're overclocking then try to turn it back on if you so desire after your OC is tested to be stable.

Voltage, google the operating range. Personally I'm running a comfortable 3.8-3.9ghz @ 1.3875v which the motherboard actually puts out 1.33-->1.39 max. Idle voltage is higher than voltage under load if you did not know. Something to do with making sure voltages don't spike, so google that if you want to learn more.

Don't use auto voltage. 1.46 or 1.47 is a decently high voltage for overclocking. You only want to run 1.45~1.5v range if you're trying to hit like +4.0ghz or more. On stock voltages 3.2 it should work at 1.35v.

Voltage is used to keep the CPU stable when overclocking. Too much OUTSIDE your operating specs which I think is above 1.5v will instantly-fry your cpu. Too much inside of it while overclocking will just make it run much hotter than it needs to be which in theory reduces the life of the processor.

Personally I've done some research into OC'ing and now I'm running my FSB @ 220 and my multiplier is at 16. 220*16 = 3.8ghz. NB running @ 2400mhz. RAM @ 1600 and normal CL9, 1.5v timings/settings.
m
l
April 4, 2011 2:38:30 AM

Hey thanks. Anyways, I have not overclocked my cpu yet. I will not do so until the break in period of 200 hrs (Arctic Silver 5) is over.

Currently I have undervolted my CPU from 1.36 to 1.30 at 3.2 Ghz. Is that fine. It seems to be stable (No game crashes, No BSOD's, ran prime 95 for half hour and no errors).

Is that fine.
m
l
!