Sign in with
Your question

High Pitched Noise from Video Card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 12, 2009 9:53:24 PM

Hey guys I'm putting a system together for a friend and I'm getting a high pitched noise/squel from the video card which from what I've gathered means it's not getting enough (or too much) power.

I've got an Intel C2D @ 3.0GHz, Gigabyte mobo, 8GB OCZ Memory, 1 x 250GB Seagate HDD, and a BFG Tech 9600 GT --- it's all powered right now by a 500W Thermaltake PSU.

I thought that PSU would get the job done, but now I'm having second thoughts and need some other opinions. Think I should go ahead and exchange for a higher watt PSU or could it be something wrong with the video card?
a c 155 U Graphics card
June 12, 2009 10:06:48 PM

Generally, you'll get that high-pitched squeal from your graphics card if you do not connect the 6-pin PCI-E power connector on the back end of the card.

-Wolf sends
a b U Graphics card
June 12, 2009 10:24:05 PM

Well, in theory, the PCI-E 2.0 slot should deliver up to 150w of power by itself, and, IMHO, the connector is is a safety in case only some of the lanes are used (an 8x slot, for example), or as a failsafe, so you should be fine without it.

That is, if you are on a 2.0 motherboard and not 1.1.

How many amps on the 12v rail does the PSU provide?
Related resources
June 12, 2009 10:41:44 PM

I've had the 6-pin PCI-E connector plugged in from the start, and I've tried using the one provided by the PSU itself and by using a 2 molex connector to 6-pin PCI-E Y-adapter just to make sure it wasn't the PSU's connector -- same results.

Here are the outputs on the PSU: +3.3V@22A,+5V@32A,+12V1@14A,+12V2@15A,-12V@0.3A,+5VSB@2A.
June 13, 2009 2:57:38 AM

I take out the video card and you wouldn't even know the system was on it's so quiet, but when it is in the case there is a distinct, noticeable, and ear-piercing ring that sounds. You guys think it's the PSU that's just not up to par for the job?
June 14, 2009 1:49:35 AM

Yeah, I'm certain now that it's some of the components on the video card (cap, coil, etc.) just vibrating like hell. Going to RMA the thing and see if I have better luck with the next one.

Thanks for the help fellas.
June 15, 2009 2:15:58 AM

^+1 caps and coil viberating. alot of your gpu's have cheap parts in them to save money now a days. even your high end cards. your rma might work or you might find you will get the same thing again. the only thing you can do to quiet them is turn vsync on.(i know your fps will drop but its a small price to pay for great graphics) next time look for a gpu that has solid capasitors on it. this is the real problem your having
!