Cpu nb overclocking

razaice

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011
Ok, so I've got the nb frequency set at 2400 mhz because I've heard that's a good setting if you have 1600 mhz ram. I wasn't sure what to set the cpu/nb voltage at, and with setting it to auto I couldn't tell what it was actually set at, so I decided to just start low and raise it until it was stable. It's currently set at 1.0750 and it was able to get through a heaven benchmark session. But from what I've read, this seems like it's set pretty low. Is this voltage ok?

grahamie

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010
what is your motherboard ?
Voltage and speed all depends on your hardware and temps
Get familiar with your hardware and its possible oc potential before you just jam some numbers in and hope it works
your on the right track with increasing in small steps it seems like it takes forever but its worth it in the end
my general procedure is to change setting in the bios and run a fast benchmark (hyperpi normally) if its stable with hyperpi shoot for a new speed and re run hyperpi if its not stable any more then very slowly increase volts keeping in mind that you should only overclock one piece of hardware at a time when i feel ive found the butter zone for the hardware i run a long stress test like prime95 to make sure its fully stable if not back to the bios for some more tweaks
keep a close eye on temps hardware will become unstable when its to hot or even burn up
I learned that lesson after 3 burnt up motherboards and a damaged cpu

razaice

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011
Thanks for all the advice. I've ended up at 3.8 ghz at 1.3750 volts with the nb at 2400 mhz at 1.1750 volts. Seems to be very stable with prime95 or anything else. Now one question I have is, while I'm playing crysis 2 lately, my temps are getting up to 55. While I know that's ok for now, I'm worried that the summer might a problem because it gets pretty hot in my room. I'm using an aftermarket cooler. I think it's called the gemeni II by cooler master.

Chloe_May

Honorable
Aug 30, 2013
gonna have to either downclock to 2.2 or go to water cooling for summer. the 955 is a mini-furnace when trying to oc on air.
either go watercooled or revert to stock during the summer months