Hi, I built my first desktop about 4ish years ago, and am about ready for a new one. I'm considering 3 main options, but have the most questions about a dual Xeon set-up.
My priorities for this machine are:
1. 3D Modeling (able to handle extremely high-poly meshes, possibly upwards of 20 Million in Mudbox 2009)
2. A hefty amount of Photoshop Work
3. 3D Rendering (less important than modeling because often the renders won't be highly time-sensitive.)
4. After-Effects / Premiere Video Editing / 3D Animation.
5. Energy Efficient (willing to spend a little extra money for this)
6. The Occasional game or movie.
2x Intel Xeon L5520 Nehalem Processors (2.26GHz, 60W)
-What is the difference between the L5520 and E5520? The L lists 60W as opposed to 80W for more $$. Do you lose any performance for that 20W drop? How much cooler does it run as a result?
-Also, how large of a performance gap is there between dual 2.26GHz Nehalem Xeons and a single i7 920 2.66GHz for
1. single-thread tasks? (Photoshop)
2. 2-8 thread tasks? (games)
3. >8 thread tasks? (3D apps & Rendering)