Tags:
  • SSD
  • Performance
  • Storage
  • Product
Last response: in Storage
January 21, 2011 10:08:24 AM

Hello friends at toms.
Quick question; Does an SSD's capacity affect performance in any way. Will a 256GB drive perform faster than a 64 GB drive of the same manufacturer.

Can any one direct me to articles related to installing an SSD to replace a HDD for booting. How to's.

Thanks You all

More about : drive capacity performance

January 21, 2011 11:22:42 AM

I believe setting up an SSD is no different to setting up an HDD, you simply quick format it and then install the OS and Drivers for the hardware. It is not the capacity of the drive that matters in performance/speed.
m
l
January 21, 2011 5:16:06 PM

In general, larger SSD capacity improves performance. More dies = greater bandwidth.
Compare same make/model 64g, 128c and 256g SSD's and note the difference in read and write speeds. Crucials sata III ssd's show a large (2x) improvement in write speeds from 64g to 128g. I'll use them in this link as an example:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...|20-148-361^20-148-361-TS%2C20-148-362^20-148-362-TS%2C20-148-363^20-148-363-TS
m
l
Related resources
January 22, 2011 12:32:32 AM

I see the write speed increases sequentially with the size of the drive but the read speed stays the same. I'm thinking of purchasing one of three: Crucial, Intel or the Samsung 470. These 3 seem to be at the top of most charts.
There are some good articles here at Toms that I have to finish.

More questions if you don't mind.
Is the SATA 3 drive backward compatable with the SATA 2 connection or an I purchase an adapter.

Thanks for your time.
m
l
January 22, 2011 1:05:57 AM

i think all the sata cables are the same.... its all about your mobo supporting sata 3 or not
m
l

Best solution

a c 415 G Storage
January 22, 2011 1:13:02 AM

The controller in the SSD reads from and writes to the actual flash memory chips in parallel. The more chips, the more parallelism and the faster the SSD can transfer data (but access times aren't affected).

So for a given SSD controller, more capacity = better performance as long as you don't reach speeds where the controller itself or the host interface becomes the bottleneck.
a b G Storage
January 22, 2011 1:51:13 AM

You might want to wait until more SSD vendors have released
SATA/6G and SAS/6G models.

The current SATA standard is 6G (6 Gigabits per second over data cables):

with one start bit, 8 data bits, and one stop bit, there are 10 physical bits
for each byte aka the 10/8 protocol: so, divide by 10 to get 600 MB/second.

It is quite possible that the wider availability of SATA/6G SSDs
will depress prices for SATA/3G SSDs.

SandForce has announced their intentions to release their SF-2000
series SSD controllers, all of which are planned to support 6G transmission
speeds (over the data cables):

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1429/1/

Meanwhile, you can see measurable gains by upgrading to a modern HDD
that uses perpendicular magnetic recording, and by "short-stroking"
your system partition (usually C: on Windows computers). Here's why:

PMR also allows tracks to be much closer together, which helps explain
the gentle slopes in the graphs above.

We are consistently measuring 150MB/second with the WD5003ABYX
using the ATTO benchmark: only $80 at Newegg!

MRFS
m
l
a b G Storage
January 22, 2011 2:38:38 AM

2 x WD5003ABYX in RAID-0, ASUS P5W64 WS Professional,
Intel Q6600, 2 x 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800, and
Highpoint RocketRAID 2340 controller:

Single WD5003ABYX result is here using the Intel ICH7R I/O controller hub:

Pre-set overclock in the BIOS of FSB1333/DDR2-834 w/ SpeedStep enabled:
Bus Speed = 333 MHz, DRAM Frequency = 417 MHz.

MRFS
m
l
January 31, 2011 10:28:23 PM

omnisome said:
I believe setting up an SSD is no different to setting up an HDD, you simply quick format it and then install the OS and Drivers for the hardware. It is not the capacity of the drive that matters in performance/speed.

I seems in everything I've read so far an SSD drives capacity certainly effects performance/speed.
Sminli said "The more chips, the more parallelism and the faster the SSD can transfer data". thats seem to be the general notion.
m
l
a b G Storage
February 1, 2011 12:54:32 AM

Sminli's right.

Are you also asking 'How to upgrade?' The answer is to re-install from scratch. Cloning may, or may not, cause problems but the only way it will not cause problems is if you do a whole bunch of work...
m
l
a b G Storage
February 1, 2011 2:48:04 AM

omnisome said:

To get the best performance out of your SSD, you need to do some tweaking to Windows.
http://www.computing.net/howtos/show/solid-state-drive-...

I cloned my drive with Acronis and it worked great. I followed the article above but most of it was already set correctly by Windows 7.
m
l
July 24, 2011 1:58:18 PM

omnisome said:

Everything I've read and all responses are completely opposite of what you say. The drives capacity directly relates to performance. The larger the drive the more read and writes. Check your notes. Thanks anyway.
m
l
July 24, 2011 2:02:04 PM

adampower said:
Sminli's right.

Are you also asking 'How to upgrade?' The answer is to re-install from scratch. Cloning may, or may not, cause problems but the only way it will not cause problems is if you do a whole bunch of work...

No, I didn't ask that. ???
m
l
July 24, 2011 2:07:16 PM

sminlal said:
The controller in the SSD reads from and writes to the actual flash memory chips in parallel. The more chips, the more parallelism and the faster the SSD can transfer data (but access times aren't affected).

So for a given SSD controller, more capacity = better performance as long as you don't reach speeds where the controller itself or the host interface becomes the bottleneck.

Sminli, thanks for your short direct answer. To many people go "off subject" in these forums. You get the BA award. Thanks.
m
l
July 24, 2011 2:08:10 PM

Best answer selected by gerry410.
m
l