Sign in with
Your question

GTX 285 Problem = Very Low FPS

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 13, 2009 12:04:00 AM

Ok I have tried for 2 days already trying to fix this with general knowledge + internet guides. Nothing has worked for me yet. Therefore, I am posting on here hoping to get some help.

Problem: Upgraded GFX cards from "BFG GeForce 8800" to "EVGA GTX 285" and got a ~50 fps decrease while playing World of Warcraft, Call of Duty 4, and Call of Duty 5.

Computer:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz (New)
Memory: 8190MB RAM (DDR3)
Hard Drive: 127 GB OCZ SATA II 2.5" SSD (New)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 285 (Driver Version 8.15.11.8585) (New)
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7100) (New)
Motherboard: Gygabyte GA-EX58-UD3R-SLI (New)
Powersupply: Thermaltake 1000W

CPU-Z: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/ryu7766/CPU-Z.jpg
Hardware Monitor: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/ryu7766/CPU.jpg
GPU-Z + PreformanceTest: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/ryu7766/Help.jpg
Drivers: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/ryu7766/Drivers.j...
Vantage Link: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/ryu7766/VantageRe... (Ignore the Previous system)

Questions I have been asked already:
Did you update your drivers? Yes, they are all current.
Did you run your 8800 on the same motherboard: No, the 8800 was running on a P5E3
Did you run your 8800 on the same Hard Drive/OS: No, the 8800 was running on a Raptor drive on Windows xp 64bit. I replaced the Harddrive with the SSD and installed Win7 Beta
Is V-Sync on? No
Is everything attached correctly? Yes

I am not very hardware smart, I learned most of the stuff I know while putting the comp together. I did however have my stepdad who is pretty good at computers help me the whole time. Please be patient with me if I do not know how to do something you ask me to do >_< Sorry
a c 168 Î Nvidia
June 13, 2009 12:18:02 AM

Have you tried running the raptor instead of the SSD ( I know the SSD is faster, but I'm clutching at straws here) and/or run it without the sound card?
June 13, 2009 12:21:12 AM

Before I installed the SSD I ran everything with my Raptor on Win Xp 64bit with the new drivers for the GFX card, same issue occurred.
Related resources
a c 168 Î Nvidia
June 13, 2009 12:31:03 AM

What about the sound card?
June 13, 2009 12:37:17 AM

Just rebooted without the sound card, no change with FPS
a c 168 Î Nvidia
June 13, 2009 1:12:50 AM

Like I said before I was clutching at straws, I've got nothing, sorry mate. :( 
June 22, 2009 6:28:33 PM

Have you tried Rivatuner and checked that the 3D performance clocks are as they should be? try an older driver instead, some drivers are buggy. I know that for the ATI 4870x2 and geforce 7950gt the newest drivers fail so bad. So try some older ones and see if that helps.
a b Î Nvidia
June 27, 2009 1:09:40 AM

I have to ask you about the RAM timings, etc. in the GPU-Z screenshot...

Those are some terribly low numbers! 533mhz? And your command rate is only set at 1T. Unless DDR3 is totally different than DDR2, shouldn't that be set at 3T? My old 800MHZ DDR2 RAM is 2T, meaning 2 commands/cycle.

I haven't had time to study the other screens, but those RAM settings are choking your machine!
June 27, 2009 3:22:46 AM

Shouldn't the RAM be running in tri channel? 3GB, 6GB, 12GB, 24GB?
June 27, 2009 3:38:21 AM

clutchc said:
I have to ask you about the RAM timings, etc. in the GPU-Z screenshot...

Those are some terribly low numbers! 533mhz? And your command rate is only set at 1T. Unless DDR3 is totally different than DDR2, shouldn't that be set at 3T? My old 800MHZ DDR2 RAM is 2T, meaning 2 commands/cycle.

I haven't had time to study the other screens, but those RAM settings are choking your machine!

Actually, 1T is faster than 2T or 3T. I've tested my RAM, and at 1T, it gets the best benchmarking scores (though the difference is pretty minor). Oh, and even at 533MHz absolute, he's got dual channel DDR3-1066, which should be fast enough to not be choking the machine or anything.
June 27, 2009 8:57:13 AM

U don't a beats rig for weak weak games like wow and COD games. HUGE HUGE mistake and wasting so much money on that rig.
a b Î Nvidia
June 27, 2009 11:00:20 AM

I'm wondering several things: How are you getting triple channel memory from 8Gb?
How are the drives now configured? Have you totally scrubbed the Raptor of Windows and driver files, or are you just using the SSD with the Raptor taken out of the machine?
Are you using exactly the same settings for the games? Even a small change can have a effect on framerates.

Start from bascics otherwise:
Reset the BIOS to factory defaults, making only such changes as are needed for your configuration.
Is the card in the right PCI-E slot? Silly I know but it's been done, check the MB manual and find out.
Run a Virus sweep (in Safe Mode, some of the little darlings can hide if you do this in normal Windows).
Check Task Manager and kill any processes/applications using CPU time.
Download the neweset drivers for ALL your hardware and reinstall, using either Driver Sweeper or Driver Cleaner in Safe Mode after each uninstall to clean out the residual crap left behind.
Anonymous
June 27, 2009 12:54:27 PM

Your Problem comes from the chage of XP 64bit to Windows 7 64bit, i can guarantee you. XP is far superior for gaming vs VISTA and Win 7. One of the problems for now is that there are no good drivers for Win 7, not optimized , and what do you expect it's still BETA.

Change your os to XP and I am sure you will see the boost you were looking for.
June 27, 2009 3:27:55 PM

Quote:
XP is far superior for gaming vs VISTA and Win 7

I cannot believe that still some people believe that XP is better than vista.

Those people that still believe that XP is better than vista are Peasant, UltraNoobs and are afraid the new technology.
June 27, 2009 4:57:15 PM

What about testing the card besides games, did the benchmark scores drop too?
What about Nvidia settings, set to performance or quality?
a b Î Nvidia
June 28, 2009 6:11:19 PM

cjl said:
Actually, 1T is faster than 2T or 3T. I've tested my RAM, and at 1T, it gets the best benchmarking scores (though the difference is pretty minor). Oh, and even at 533MHz absolute, he's got dual channel DDR3-1066, which should be fast enough to not be choking the machine or anything.

My bad. I was under the impression that if the command rate was only 1T, then the DRAM Freq would be stuck at 533mhz. Evidently, I need to brush up on i7's and DDR3 RAM before I comment any further. My world still revovles around 800mhz DDR2 stuff... :??: 
October 26, 2009 1:19:13 AM

did u ever resolve this problem?
!