Sign in with
Your question

Thoughts on Lucid Hydra 200?

Last response: in Motherboards

Do you want to see the Lucid Hydra 200?

Total: 12 votes (3 blank votes)

• Yes, in x2 GPUs for increased scaling and shared memory.
  • 12 %
  • Yes, in MOBOs to allow mix and matching GPUs.
  • 78 %
  • No.
  • 0 %
  • I don't know.
  • 0 %
  • Other (in comment).
  • 12 %
November 12, 2009 9:27:54 AM

So, I was reading up on the Lucid Hydra 200 chip.
I remember someone saying you could put it on a dual graphics card (such as a 5870x2) to share memory and increase performance scaling over CrossFire.
The MSI Big Bang (to be released next year) is going to have the chip integrated inside the motherboard, with the intent of mix and matching graphics cards. Unfortunately it's a P55 board. It would be nice to see a new generation of LGA 1366 boards with the Lucid chip, PCIe 3.0 (with 4-8 PCIe x16 slots), SATA 3.0, USB 3.0, 9 DIMMS, and the sexacore (Gulftown) or hexacore chips. Just imagine, 4x 5870x2, 8GB of GDDR5 (1GB per GPU, all bundled by the Lucid chip), 18GB of DDR3 2200, 4.5Hz HT 6 core i9. Crysis at 9x2560x1600 16xAA/xAF ultra anyone?

It could in theory allow allow us to also benefit from multiple GPUs in games that don't respond well (or at all) to CF/SLI.
However, so far, it seems its scaling isn't quite to par for Nvidia SLI (though getting close).

Nvidia CEO/founder Jen-Hsun Huang states he believes the Lucid chip is a bad idea. It adds too many complications.

I know I'd love to have a 5870x2 with shared memory, while memory performance would take a hit (as it's being accessed by two GPUs), it would allow reduced manufacturing costs and more video memory per board (as apparently there's a lack of supply in the memory market right now).
I'd also love to just par my 4870 and 4670 together at the same time for a small but noticeable boost (as crossfiring them together could actually degrade performance), and to allow easier GPU upgrading (just like HDDs, buy new ones, but keep the old ones in).

So, what's your opinion on the subject?
Yay or nay for the Lucid Hydra 200?
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
November 12, 2009 1:49:40 PM

IF it works as advertised 95%+ of the time it could be a big deal.
At ~$1.50/PCIe Lane, it will be pretty expensive though.
I guess we will have to wait for it to be released to make an accurate assessment.
November 13, 2009 7:36:13 AM

Thank you. I never even came across the Anand article about it.
While I do prefer the format and forums of Toms, Anand seem to be the real tech extremists.

It seems expensive, but I think the cost would be manageable.
Now, something like the EVGA P55 Classified 200 having 5x PCIex8 and a single PCIex4, I guess you would have to be careful with your choices.

Though I think I'd rather have it on a LGA 1366 board (for 2x16 connection to the core alone).

Maybe we could also see Intel integrated GPUs finally gaming decently... by having a dozen of the. =D

And here's another though, could we use three Lucid Hydra 200 chips at once for 4 GPUs all at x16 mode (or 8 at x8, or even possibly 16 at 4x via x2 cards)? (two GPUs per lucid, and another lucid to control the other Lucids)
I know there would be heavy losses in scaling, but one can dream can't they? (At a estimated cost of $250-400 added to the board, and $800 for every 5870x2, being another $3,200. All still being cheaper than a high end workstation card)
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
November 13, 2009 4:51:12 PM

Hydra is a pretty cool idea and I would like to see more mobo makers start making boards with the Hydra 200 chip, especially would like to see mobo makers revise existing versions of their X58 chipset line-up with the Hydra included. I'd go through the hassle and cost of swapping out mobos to gain Hydra functionality.
November 13, 2009 7:18:14 PM

I think I would too.
Though I'm more interested in the next gen of the LGA 1366 boards (X68 maybe?), with USB 3.0, SATA 3.0, 9 DIMMS (I can wish), 2 PCIe x16 and 4-6 PCIe x8 slots. (There's a P55 board with 5 x8 and a single x4 lane, so why not go even further with the LGA 1366 line?)
!