Sign in with
Your question

Graphics card guidance needed.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 13, 2009 12:09:00 AM

Hi everyone!

I am looking for some help, maybe a point in the right direction, so to speak, when choosing a new graphics card for my computer.
The computer is now used for some non-intense gaming (just World of Warcraft) which isnt too graphically demanding, but still, when the game starts getting brighter, my fps goes down into the gutter. Even with all the settings turned down, and only keeping on what I need to, to make sure I dont die, getting more than 11fps in battle is my computer having a good day. With that being said...

Here is a link to the specs of my computer
HP Pavilion a6603w

Currently has a Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2220 2.4GHz processor and 3GB of RAM.

My PSU is a pansy at only 250w, and I am more than aware that I am going to have to get something more powerful if I can switch to another card.

Also running on a cable internet connection, and using a 19' monitor at a 1440x900 resolution.

Any suggestions on what card my comp can handle would be fantastic!

If any more information is needed please let me know, I really want to figure this out and stop getting more confused as the time goes by.
June 13, 2009 12:35:10 AM

For light gaming you could get away with a HD 4770. But since it is difficult to find it in stock at the moment, you could also go with a HD 4850 which is $10-$15 cheaper than the 4770 right now and is a tad bit better in performance, but it also produces more heat and needs more power. There is also the 4830 which is a little bit cheaper than the 4850 and has a little bit less performance than the 4770.

I would suggest the Corsair 400W which should power everything fine if you go with any of the cards I listed.
June 13, 2009 12:59:55 AM

fpoama said:
For light gaming you could get away with a HD 4770. But since it is difficult to find it in stock at the moment, you could also go with a HD 4850 which is $10-$15 cheaper than the 4770 right now and is a tad bit better in performance, but it also produces more heat and needs more power. There is also the 4830 which is a little bit cheaper than the 4850 and has a little bit less performance than the 4770.

I would suggest the Corsair 400W which should power everything fine if you go with any of the cards I listed.

I agree with the powersupply, good choice, however make sure it has all the connections you need, I know with dells they require some special connector.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I would get this 4850, use promo code VGA661 and its only $90, but it ends tonight so order it fast :) 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

psu and gpu totals $146.28
Related resources
June 13, 2009 1:08:32 AM

I'm going to have to wait till Monday till I can think about ordering anything, but Im ok with spending a bit more, since I thought it was going to cost a bit more anyway.

Thank you both SO much for the help, really appreciate it!
!