No more beeps

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
A few days ago I noticed that the signature boot up BEEP from the PC speaker isn't there anymore. In the same day, my computer started shutting down funny, or to be more accurate, not at all. It will hang on "Shutting Down Windows" screen that is usually the last seen before shut down, right after the "saving settings" message. It doesn't hang on shutdown everytime, but about 1 out of 3 times. When this happens, I have to use the reset or 10sec button hold power down. The next start-up is void of error messages, and the settings are saved, so I am lead to believe this is purely a failure of the motherboard's ability to shut down the computer. I have performed a fresh install of windows shortly after I noticed the problems, but it had no effect on the shut down.

Should I be concerned about the disappearing beep, or the occasional need for manual power off? I plan on replacing this Mobo by christmas with a new build, and have a friend interested in this one, so I want to make sure I am not passing on a failing piece of gear.

Thanks for your input ~

check inside the pc to see if the pc speaker cable is connected (or reseat the cable) to the mobo. if it is not saving setting there may be a slight chance that the CMOS battery may just have to be replaced. other than that it mat just be a just a catastrophic failure of the mobo.

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
Yeah, I replaced the PC speaker from one i had in an old case, and it works now. As far as settings being saved, its not an issue, about a 3rd of the time the PC just doesn't shut itself off, haning on the windows shut down screen AFTER saving the settings. Manual reset or hard power down doesn't cause any issues like bios reset or improper windows shutdown menu at startup, so I guess I shouldn't be too concerned.