Sign in with
Your question

Seagate barricuda HDD install help

Last response: in Storage
January 21, 2011 3:00:47 PM

I have just built my own system and i am using a seagate barracuda 500Gb HDD. So i run windows 7 and it comes up with what device do you want to use to install windows 7 on and my drive does not appear. I have been trying to get this to work now for a few days but whatever i do nothing seems to work. Does anyone have any suggestions?
January 21, 2011 3:10:54 PM

This is what it tells me when i open win7 install
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab52/guitar112993/SD...
The bottom error message says: 'No drives were found. Click Load Driver to provide a mass storage driver for installation'

Also this is everything i have in my computer if it helps

AMD PHENOM II X6 1075T SIX CORE 3.0GHZ SOCKET AM3 - RETAIL

:)  Thanks, Dan
a b $ Windows 7
a c 304 G Storage
January 21, 2011 5:35:39 PM

Is the drive visible in the BIOS?

If it is, we look at one set of issues. If it isn't, we try something else.

Is there power to the drive? Does it make some faint sound? Have you tried it in another machine?
Related resources
January 21, 2011 6:44:20 PM

WyomingKnott said:
Is the drive visible in the BIOS?

If it is, we look at one set of issues. If it isn't, we try something else.

Is there power to the drive? Does it make some faint sound? Have you tried it in another machine?

Yes the drive is visible in bios but only when the onchip set is set to native Ide.
Yes the drive has power to it and it does make a faint sound.
And i tried it on my friends pc and it works completely fine. Would this indicate that there is a problem with the motherboard?
a b $ Windows 7
a c 304 G Storage
January 21, 2011 6:54:34 PM

Well, the drive works fine elsewhere, so it's probably in the motherboard or BIOS or cable. Were you using the same data cable when you tried it in your friend's PC?

I've never seen that before, where the BIOS sees it if it's set to IDE but not if it's set to ACHI. Aside from one more question, which is "This is an SATA drive, right?", I'm going to hope that someone else can help you.
a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
January 21, 2011 6:59:53 PM

Try switchign IDE to AHCI. Also you may for some reason need to load your storage drivers, which can be downloaded from the motherboard manufacturers website. Which you would have to put on a flash drive, than click on load drivers when you are at that screen you were at before.
!