sikandar

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
I have a Dell desktop XPS 720. Recently, my computer screen started go blank after a screen saver. I would have to restart to get the screen back on. So after a few restarts my computer just wouldn't load up anymore. Then I had these vertical lines all over my screen and the only way it would load to windows desktop is if I uninstalled my graphics card in safe mode and the restart my computer. I am not good with hardware etc, but I am guessing my graphics card burnt out or something. Any advice on this topic that could save me from having to buy a new card would be greatly appreciated.

If replacing my graphics card is the only way, then could you please suggest a graphics card which would be best for gaming. Price somewhere around 100-200 dollars. Also, my graphics card is or rather was Nvidia 8800GT 512.

Also my computer specifications:

Dell XPS 720
Processor : Intel Core2 Quad processor Q9450 (2.66GHz,1333FSB) w/DualCore Technology and 12MB cache

RAM : 3GB DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz-2X1GB/2X512MB
Video Card : NVIDIA 8800GT 512MB

If any other specifications are needed please let me know and I will find them out and post it in a reply.
Thank you in advance.

sikandar

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
Sweet thank you. One more question though, since I was using an NVIDIA card before, will ATI still fit/work on my computer or do I need to replace something to make it work? I editted/updated my computer specifications a little more in detail, not sure if that helps or not.

sikandar

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
Pardon my ignorance in regards to this subject, but if I buy the ATI card I can just plug and install the ATI drivers to make it work right? I wouldn't need to buy a new mother board or anything would I?

Also, I was checking the prices and I see many different companies that make the same card. Any recommendations on which company is a good choice to go with?