SSD & HDD in RAID 0?

Tags:
  • SSD
  • Hard Drives
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
January 21, 2011 3:29:54 PM

Hi, guys.

I'm building my CPU and I am in doubt about what to get SSD and HDD wise, to boost performance, even if it's just loading performance. My focus is high end gaming.

My config so far:

-i7 980x (already bought)
-Asus Rampage III Extreme/Maximus IV Extreme(about to buy)
-Dominator® GT with DHX Pro Connector and Airflow II Fan — 6GB Triple Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (CMT6GX3M3A2000C8)(about to buy)
-NVidia GeFOrce EVGA GTX 580 SLI(about to buy)

So, I have read some about the differences between SSD and HDD. I already have plenty of storage, so that's not a concern. What I am really worried about now is performance. If I understood is correctly, SSD is not good to deal with processing multiple small files at the same time. Instead, it works better with smaller number of bigger files. Is that right? Anyway, would it be ok to have both SSD in RAID 0 and also two very fast HDD also in RAID 0?

I read in some posts that in may there will be some new interesting releases in the SSD market, so I am considering buying a couple of Hitatchi 15000 rpm HDDs to put in RAID 0 in the mean time.

Any advices?

thx!

More about : ssd hdd raid

a b G Storage
January 21, 2011 3:48:24 PM

do you really need that much performance?

I'm asking because there's about 10 "SSD/RAID 0" threads per day, and about 5 "My RAID 0 array broke - how to recover files?"

A really nice SSD for OS/key software will be an amazing jump over almost any HD.
m
l
January 21, 2011 4:02:55 PM

gtvr said:

I'm asking because there's about 10 "SSD/RAID 0" threads per day, and about 5 "My RAID 0 array broke - how to recover files?"

A really nice SSD for OS/key software will be an amazing jump over almost any HD.

Maybe I am just excited about it. It's not about need. It's more about desire. I never had a great computer and now I have the opportunity to buy a great one.

I will take your words into consideration, though. Maybe a good SSD to run my OS and main games/applications. The rest, I could leave it up to the HDD. Should I keep my eye on any upcoming SSD releases?
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
January 22, 2011 12:38:37 AM

SSDs seem to be always improving. There was just a bunch of new devices, search Tom's or other reviews. I've always felt that when you're ready to buy, buy what's available unless you know something dramatic is coming out in the next month or so. Otherwise, you get in a never-ending loop of waiting.

SSD for OS (I'd get 90-120GB) and an HD for apps/data should work great, and will remove a layer of complications.

Also there isn't TRIM support in RAIDed SSDs, which is another strike.
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
January 22, 2011 1:07:14 AM

IMHO SSDs are so fast that for most users RAID is pretty much overkill on them, particularly since it prevents the use of TRIM.
m
l
February 20, 2011 12:33:34 AM

gtvr said:

----------------

I liked your post.

I bought an OCZ Vertex 2,120GB,to put my OS onto. I am upgrading an older Vista system to Windows 7 and I am planning to do a clean load onto the SSD. I currently have two WD 150GB Velociraptor drives and a WD 750GB operating in a RAID 1+0 configuration. How would I use the SSD with these drives and what RAID config.?

Look forward to your input. Thanks
m
l
a b G Storage
February 20, 2011 5:35:02 PM

you're using 3 HDs in a raid 10? you're not going to get the full benefit of either the striping or the mirroring, depending on whether it's really 10 or 0 + 1.

I would do a clean install of 7 onto the SSD not in RAID. Why do you have a RAID 10 - what does it support or do for you? That has to be answered before anyone can give RAID advice.
m
l
!