Timian123

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
Hi, i almost just bought this a computer, with this MB: Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H

When i was finished with the computer, i started it up, and i worked perfectly, until the day after.
Nothing will work. except all the fans, inside..

I have a MB Speaker, but it gives no sounds when i boot up.
No signal to the monitor.

Can't find any errors at all.

Have tried some things, but aren't that good at it, to begin flashing bios, and so on. (I'm more the software guy)

I hope you can help me. Would appreciate it allot.

Solution
Acck! I forgot were dealing with AMD here - but the situation is unchanged: if anything, you can be even more certain that AMD is individually testing, as they are 'recovering' dies with a nominally 'defective' core to be sold as 'X3's... There is always the Sempron:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103698
A 'spare' processor, for testing motherboards will cost $37 w/free shipping, and is listed to work with your board:
http://www.gigabyte.us/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=3145
I keep a cheap Intel Celeron 'in the box' for that purpose (for 775s), and for flashing BIOS when I'm using a CPU whose stepping is not supported by the 'as shipped' BIOS on a board...

bilbat

Splendid
Sounds like a job for the 'strip-down':

Mind you, there are two ways to do this: you can do it either in or out of the case. The advantages and drawbacks:in the case is easier and faster, but will not find case-related problems, like shorts from extra, mispositioned standoffs, or ground plane problems; out of the case takes longer, and you may run into 'reach' problems - power supply cables and front panel power switch headers may not be long enough; for the power supply, it's usually just a matter of removing four screws to temorarily relocate it; for the power switch, you can just do this (carefully):
power2.jpg

You only need to short the pins momentarily - that's all the power switch does...Out of the case also affords you an easy opportunity to 'flip' the board to check your heatsink/fan attachment setup, to be sure all the pins are fully seated, locked, and not cracked... If you do the out of the case, you need to lay the board on a non-conductive surface: the box the MOBO came in is ideal; but - the foam pad it came with, and the bag it was in are not - being 'antistat', they are somewhat conductive, and may induce problems...

Another item worth mention at this point is case speakers: if you haven't got one - get one!
http://www.cwc-group.com/casp.html
A lot of people operate under the misaprehension that the 'diagnostic beeps' should come through the speakers attached to their sound-card/chip - not so! Your three hundred dollar Altec-Lansings won't do you any good here - you have to have a case speaker attached to the front panel header, and, often by this point, it's the only diagnostic info you'll have to go on...

The standard 'strip-down':

Power down at PSU switch
remove everything except
CPU and heatsink/fan (check carefully that the fan retaining pins are fully inserted, completely locked, and not cracked)
one stick of RAM, in slot closest to CPU
video card and monitor connector (if more than one PCIe slot, again, in slot closest to CPU)
all power plugs - 20+4 or 24, 2x2 or 2x4 ATX power, graphics card power
case speaker and power switch connectors
keyboard (don't need a mouse at this point)
place jumper on RST_CMOS pins
remove jumper from RST_CMOS pins
power up at PSU switch
power up by depressing case power switch (or shorting the 'power' pins...)
If you get video, enter BIOS with <DEL> (may need a <TAB> to get to POST screen, if 'splash' screen is enabled)
Select and execute "Load Optimized Defaults" - save and exit, reboot
power down
reinsert other components, one at a time, testing each time after addition...

bilbat

Splendid
A second or two will do it...

Probably best to test with just the on-board; before powering down for the strip-down, go into your BIOS -

On the "Advanced BIOS Features" page:

Set "Internal Graphics Mode" to "Sideport"
Set "UMA Frame Buffer Size" to "Auto"
Set "Surround View" to "Disabled"
Set "Onboard VGA output connect" to "Auto"
Set "Init Display First" to "OnChipVGA"

Save, exit, reboot; power down for test; pull graphics card along with everything else...

bilbat

Splendid
aack! Forgot about that! Try this (partial) first:
Leave video the way it last was...
Leave it in the case for now...
Switch off (at the rear switch) and then unplug power supply...
Hold case power switch depressed for thirty seconds...
Unplug drives...
Unplug all USBs, except keyboard...
Remove ram, except for one stick, in slot closest to CPU...
Place jumper on RST_CMOS pins...
Remove jumper from RST_CMOS pins...
Plug PSU back in, and power up at PSU switch...
Power up with front panel power switch...
See watcha get!

Timian123

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
Still nothing.. The speaker says nothing at all..

And one thing you might be able to use, is that the front panel power switch will not work after it's turned on..
The only way to turn of, is at the power supply..

EDIT:
I'm thinking that it's the MB that are broken.. but can't understand that, since it only has been used, max 5hours...

bilbat

Splendid
One thing that sometimes crops up after a couple power cycles: pull the board and double check your standoffs - that each one installed corresponds to a mounting hole in the MOBO; an extra one sometimes will take a few power cycles to cause a short - that's why the best way to do the 'strip-down' is out of the case... I use a fairly fancy CoolerMaster, and it came with a 'template' for inserting standoffs - very handy idea! However, following their instructions put an extra standoff under the board! Always a 'no go' situation...

Timian123

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
Now i can follow you...
There is only the ones there should..
That i'm sure of, put them there myself..

EDIT:
I have the options to send the hardware back, but i need to be sure it's broken before i do so.

So i have a new question. How do i find out, if the MOBO or CPU is broken..?

That's the two things i can come up with that possible to not work.

bilbat

Splendid
Well, the 'out of the case' stripdown is meant to help with this, but if it still does not work, you are still left with the same possibilities, and the only way to verify the CPU is either to put it in another system to verify operation, or to swap in a 'known good' processor, to verify motherboard operation; lacking parts for swapping, you're kind of at the end of the line; pretty hard to get a bad CPU from Intel - they're actually individually tested (mainly, to 'qualify' them for various clock speeds/part numbers), but always possible to get a bad MOBO (though not nearly as common as reading 'RMAs by idiots' would have you believe), as the majority of the quality control there is statistical sampling...

Timian123

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
I will do the "out of case" when i get back from work...
And then find out if it's the MOBO..

I have no CPU, and know no one, that uses one that has a MOBO it can get in..

(Off topic) It's an AMD Phehnom II x4 3,4Ghz.. (Don't remember name atm)

bilbat

Splendid
Acck! I forgot were dealing with AMD here - but the situation is unchanged: if anything, you can be even more certain that AMD is individually testing, as they are 'recovering' dies with a nominally 'defective' core to be sold as 'X3's... There is always the Sempron:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103698
A 'spare' processor, for testing motherboards will cost $37 w/free shipping, and is listed to work with your board:
http://www.gigabyte.us/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=3145
I keep a cheap Intel Celeron 'in the box' for that purpose (for 775s), and for flashing BIOS when I'm using a CPU whose stepping is not supported by the 'as shipped' BIOS on a board...

Solution

bilbat

Splendid
:D ;) :lol: :pt1cable:
I can sympathize completely!

I'm 'genetically defective' - manic depressive, and spent, probably, 35 of my 56 years either drunk, or stoned, or some random combination of the two :sol: ! (I often tell people that I only ever smoked marijuana once - but it was from about '72 'till about '98!) Can't say I miss it too fondly though; during a recent 'therapy exercise', I added up lost jobs, fines, insurance costs, time spent in jail and prison, lost homes, etc., and discovered that, basically, I had drank up, shot up, and snorted up about a medium priced (say, a 430 Scuderia) Ferrari!