Your question

AHCI or IDE in BIOS ?

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • BIOS
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
January 21, 2011 4:00:14 PM

I am using an Asus M4A87TD/USB3 Motheboard and a Hitachi 7K1000.C 1 TB Hard Drive and when I enter my BIOS I find three options for storage config, RAID, AHCI and IDE.

1# Why when I chose AHCI in my BIOS do my SATA channles 1-6 not show up and why does my hard drive show up as IDE ?

2# Yet when I chose IDE in the BIOS, all my SATA channels 1-6 show up and my hard drive shows up as SATA ?

3# When I get the system up and running, why am I getting Burst Raes of less than 135 when I have the BIOS set to AHCI and when I install with IDE I see burst rates over 170 ?

4# I thought AHCI was supposed to be faster ?

I did go to the Asus website, downloaded the latest AHCI driver and installed it during the Windows installation so rule that out.

More about : ahci ide bios

January 26, 2011 3:38:34 PM

I have the link for the fix. You need to edit the registry.

http://tweaks.com/articles/44119/improve-sata-hard-disk...

Follow those steps then after editing the registry enable AHCI mode in the bios and it works fine. So far I have done this on 2 computers one a notebook and the other a desktop both running Windows 7 and works fine. NCQ and hot swapping now available. Without this change the drive doesnt use NCQ and hot swapping isnt enabled.
m
l
!