Sign in with
Your question

Pixel Shader 2.0

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 13, 2009 1:47:14 AM

I just bought The Sims 3, but every time I play it shuts down and gives me this message:

"The ati2dvag display driver has stopped working normally. Save your work and reboot the system to restore full display functionality. The next time you reboot the machine a dialog will be displayed giving you a chance to upload data about this failure to Microsoft."

I've done everything it suggests. I've downloaded all of the updates off of Microsoft, but nothing seems to work. My computer satifies the minimum requirements according to The Sims 3 website. The only thing I can think of is it requires a video card that supports Pixel Shader 2.0. I have a 128MB ATI RADEON X600 SE. Does this support Pixel Shader 2.0? If not what do I need to do so that I can play my game?

More about : pixel shader

June 21, 2009 9:12:30 PM

I just spent the better part of this past week going round and round with EA customer support. When I went to The Sims 3 website and ran their System Requiements Checker their app said my system passed the test, but when I asked a question about processor speed they said my AMD XP 2400 processor wasn't up to speed. I did notice that my 128 MB ATI 9250 card DID NOT handle Pixel Shader 2.0, so I bought a PNY GeForce 6200 256 MB card (one of the cards on the Sims 3 Supported Video Cards list).

From what I can gather from the ATI website, it looks like your vid card does support SmartShader 2.0 (I guess this is the same as Pixel Shader 2.0). If you do end up calling EA support or e-mailing them, make sure that you talk slowly or use small words when e-mailing.

Good Luck.
August 7, 2009 11:40:01 PM

I have this same problem. Did you ever find an answer to it?
Related resources
August 7, 2009 11:59:35 PM

Step 1: Update drivers.
Anonymous
March 16, 2010 9:46:32 PM

did you ever get your GF 6200 to work with the sims.

Groucho_Fields said:
I just spent the better part of this past week going round and round with EA customer support. When I went to The Sims 3 website and ran their System Requiements Checker their app said my system passed the test, but when I asked a question about processor speed they said my AMD XP 2400 processor wasn't up to speed. I did notice that my 128 MB ATI 9250 card DID NOT handle Pixel Shader 2.0, so I bought a PNY GeForce 6200 256 MB card (one of the cards on the Sims 3 Supported Video Cards list).

From what I can gather from the ATI website, it looks like your vid card does support SmartShader 2.0 (I guess this is the same as Pixel Shader 2.0). If you do end up calling EA support or e-mailing them, make sure that you talk slowly or use small words when e-mailing.

Good Luck.

April 18, 2010 1:52:58 PM

turboflame said:
Step 1: Update drivers.

May 22, 2010 10:49:01 AM

REMOVE THE GRAPHIC CARD AND UNINSTALL THEIR DRIVERS AND RESTART ,NOW UPDATE YOUR BIOS FROM YOUR MOTHERBOARD WEBSITE AND REINSERT YOUR GRAPHIC CARD AND REINSTALL ITS DRIVERS,,,,,,,it would work for u maybe..try it out
!