Last response: in Motherboards
November 12, 2009 12:54:47 PM

Which of these MOBO's would you select?

1. ASUS P6T DELUXE V2

2. ASUS RAMPAGE EXTREME II

3. EVGA E758-TR

Following conditions:

CPU - Intel I7-920
12 gbytes DDR3 RAM - still trying to decide what kind to get-suggestions welcome
I have already bought Antec 1200 case and Corsair CMPSU-850TX
Will run RAID1
Money is no object
Must be very reliable MOBO
Easy to overclock and at the same time coolest running
I am not a big gamer, just someone that enjoys the cutting edge computer
Will be running Windows 7 - 64 bit
MS Office Suite
Quicken
Adode Photoshop Suite

More about : choose

a c 296 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
November 12, 2009 1:19:34 PM

My vote goes for the EVGA.
m
l
November 12, 2009 5:19:50 PM

saint19

Why did you choose the EVGA over the other options?
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
November 12, 2009 6:00:20 PM

None. I would get the ASRock X58 Extreme for $170.00 and use the left over cash to get an SSD.
m
l
November 12, 2009 6:09:02 PM

Like I said, money is not an issue. I already plan on getting a SSD although I failed to mention it above. Why do you recommend the ASRock x58? I have read around and have seen some negative things on it but I am open at this point.
m
l
a c 296 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
November 12, 2009 6:32:21 PM

Is the only one that support 3 SLI or X-FIRE, and the only one (that I know) that manufactured the mobo with the watercooling for the NB.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 13, 2009 10:04:21 AM

cwale said:
Why do you recommend the ASRock x58? I have read around and have seen some negative things on it but I am open at this point.
The ASRock X58 Extreme is a solid, reliable, and very good performing mobo with a layout and features of a mobo that costs another $50+. You can get a bad board regardless of the mobo maker. There are plenty of negative reviews about the P6T V2 and the Rampage Extreme 2 and I would argue that there are more negative user reviews on Newegg about the Asus mobos than that ASRock X58 Extreme. Economies of scale , perhaps.

IMO, when it comes to picking a mobo, it's the chipset that makes or breaks the performance and the specific mobo makers implementation is just a questions of layout and features. If you compare feature for feature the ASRock X58 Extreme to the other mobos you have listed, you would see that there is very little difference. For example, unless there is a particular reason why you prefer the onboard NIC that comes with the Asus over the NIC on the ASRock, then that's a good reason to get the Asus. However, if you don't care if the NIC is Realtek as opposed to Marvell but you do care that the NIC is GigE, then a NIC on the ASRock is the same as the NIC on the Asus. Again, it's the chipset that makes or breaks the performance of a mobo, and unless there are specific features that one mobo maker offers over another, then all things being equal, why would spend more money than necessary. Yes, I know you said money is not an issue, but reality is, money is always an issue.

However, if you're set on those three choices, I would go with the P6T Deluxe V2 over the Rampage and the EVGA.
m
l
!