Sign in with
Your question

How to change default search path in Windows XP

Last response: in Windows XP
October 27, 2011 12:53:46 PM

Dear Friends,

If its possible, could someone help me understand how to change the default path used by the "Search" option on the start menu. I have all my files located in a separate folder and it would be great if the "Search" window starts by looking in that folder instead of the default "local hard drives".

Thanks in advance.
October 27, 2011 5:38:04 PM

RITWIKSANATH said:
Dear Friends,

If its possible, could someone help me understand how to change the default path used by the "Search" option on the start menu. I have all my files located in a separate folder and it would be great if the "Search" window starts by looking in that folder instead of the default "local hard drives".

Thanks in advance.

Ignore - hit wrong button - another post forthcoming ! :cry: 
October 27, 2011 5:49:09 PM

RITWIKSANATH said:
Dear Friends,

Thanks in advance.

What you are asking for would require changing a system environment variable, and not recommended because of the zillions of apps that use that variable. Changing it would lead to disaster. Here is what I would do.

Explore my computer, and click on the C: icon. Add a folder with a special character and your folder name, lets say Data.
the new folder name will be entered as "*data" without the quotes.
Now, copy paste you files to this folder, and save any future files here.
The folder will be located as the first folder on drive c: and therefore when you start the search, it will the 1st one looked in.
!