Sign in with
Your question

Oc i5 2500k w/ asrock p67 extreme4

Last response: in Overclocking
April 2, 2011 3:12:29 PM

I want to do a slight overclock to 4.2ghz and keep the turbo boost on should I just turn up the multiplier to 42X and not worry about the voltages since it is such a small overclock?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 3, 2011 12:33:49 AM

See how high you can get on the default voltage by manually setting the voltage to 1.2v and then changing the multiplier. You may get lucky and still be stable at 4.2Ghz with default voltage, or you may need to raise it slightly. Either way, don't leave the voltage on Auto, as this usually adds more voltage than necessary.
m
l
April 3, 2011 2:22:39 PM

Don't worry about touching the voltage at first.

I have the same motherboard but the 2600k and am perfectly stable at 4.3 ghz by just changing the multiplier.

I'm not 100% sure about the 2500k but the stock voltage on the 2600 will go to 1.3 v which is more than enough for our speeds.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 3, 2011 6:04:15 PM

Yes, but if you left it on Auto, the voltage will increase as you increase the CPU multiplier. Manually set the voltage to 1.2v and see how high you can actually go without increasing it. Doing it like that will also decrease temps.
m
l
April 4, 2011 12:13:16 AM

Leaps-from-Shadows said:
Yes, but if you left it on Auto, the voltage will increase as you increase the CPU multiplier. Manually set the voltage to 1.2v and see how high you can actually go without increasing it. Doing it like that will also decrease temps.

Not gonna lie, read a few of your posts and easy to tell you definitely no more about this stuff than I do (doesn't take much) I comment based on my own experiences only.

I do have a question for you though,

Is the only benefit of setting the voltage decreasing the temps? the only reason I ask is I'm 100% perfectly fine with my temperatures and if my overclock is stable I don't see the need to really mess around with it.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 4, 2011 9:02:01 AM

whitey_rolls said:
Is the only benefit of setting the voltage decreasing the temps? the only reason I ask is I'm 100% perfectly fine with my temperatures and if my overclock is stable I don't see the need to really mess around with it.

Yeah, pretty much. Though an overclocked processor that uses less voltage will last longer too ... but us overclockers tend to upgrade more frequently anyway, making longevity a moot point.
m
l
April 4, 2011 11:49:31 AM

Well the 2600K is a pretty kick ass processor with it's clock speeds but even then I wouldn't expect to get more than 4-5 years out of it....

m
l
April 6, 2011 4:20:33 AM

Good point. I OC'd just by changing the multiplier and my vcore is still acceptable as far as I am concerned. My only advice would be to keep it under 1.4v...

m
l
April 6, 2011 11:21:49 AM

majin ssj eric said:
Good point. I OC'd just by changing the multiplier and my vcore is still acceptable as far as I am concerned. My only advice would be to keep it under 1.4v...

]http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/1752219.png

You got it to 4.6 ghz by just changing the multiplier?
m
l
April 6, 2011 3:16:24 PM

Yup. And auto vcore never exceeds 1.38v so I'm happy...
m
l
April 6, 2011 7:03:46 PM

Nice, I haven't actually tried to go past 4.3 ghz on manual as most people I've heard from say 4.4 is pretty much the limit for the auto overclock.

Either way 4.3 is still hella fast, no need to be too greedy, especially when I never even push the processor in my current applications.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 6, 2011 9:03:28 PM

I also have this board, but with a 2600k like you other folks. I've got mine to 4.4 with auto voltage, but I changed one setting : the max CPU voltage, which it defaults at 1.5. I switched it to 1.35 because I wasn't sure what the "safe" max voltage is. But it doesn't look like it really ever needs more juice for 4.4 so I'm gonna leave it alone.
m
l
!