leef1fan

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
I have a HP slimline model s5123w. It came with 3 GB of ram and I would like to know how to find out what the max amount of ram the computer will accept. This computer was a gift so its not my first choice, so I'm kind of stuck with it. I want to take out the 3 Gb of ram thats in it now and upgrade it to the max amount the mother board will allow. The mother board only has two slots for ram and I know most computers will only accept a certain amount of ram,so if some one can tell me how to find out what that amount is I would be greatfull. I would also like to upgrade the video card, but from what I've read theres not very many choices out there for this computer because of the small case and power supply. But if any one knows of a specialty card, please let me know.malonemarshall071@gmail.com

Solution
I have a similar board; 3 gb of memory is adequate for almost any task. Most of those boards will only accept up to 4 gb of memory. To get a 2x2 gb kit is almost $100 now. You're much better off upgrading to windows 7 or get an ssd. I just picked up one today for $109 at frys. It only has 60 gb of usable space, but it's virtually silent; no heat; no moving parts, and boots up about one third faster into windows. I didn't have any mounting brackets, so I taped it on top of an old drive using mounting tape. For video, look for a 4670 chipset card, which can work with some 300w power supplies. One was listed for about $37 after rebate the other day at slickdeals or fatwallet. Some cards now come with an optional lower mounting bracket for...
I have a similar board; 3 gb of memory is adequate for almost any task. Most of those boards will only accept up to 4 gb of memory. To get a 2x2 gb kit is almost $100 now. You're much better off upgrading to windows 7 or get an ssd. I just picked up one today for $109 at frys. It only has 60 gb of usable space, but it's virtually silent; no heat; no moving parts, and boots up about one third faster into windows. I didn't have any mounting brackets, so I taped it on top of an old drive using mounting tape. For video, look for a 4670 chipset card, which can work with some 300w power supplies. One was listed for about $37 after rebate the other day at slickdeals or fatwallet. Some cards now come with an optional lower mounting bracket for slimline cases.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS