Asus DVD-RW Recorder will not burn to DVD-R?

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
My Asus DVD-RW Recorder that I received today will not burn to DVD-R just like my older Asus DVD-RW Recorder, but both has no problem burning to CD-Rs. When I try to Copy to DVD-R disc (Sony DVD-R media) the message says, "Windows encountered a problem when trying to copy this folder. What do you want Windows to do?" Firmware is updated to latest 1.04, I even ran Microsoft's Automated Trouble... Mat's run.dvd. Windows XP SP3

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

I'm not sure what dual format is, but its records dual layer DVD-Rs. I haven't tried DVD+R discs, I don't see why it should matter since this drive is capable of burning with both DVD-R and DVD+R discs. Do I need some sort of burning software or can't I just use WindowsXP SP3 to burn DVD-Rs? I'm a bit reluctant to spend more money just for trouble shooting, I've already spent the money ($30) on the first DVD-R burner and now again $30 on the second burner. I'm not throwing one more penny into this black hole!

Have this drive. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

Then that means I most likely have two fully functioning DVD-R burners, the drive I received today is so much quieter than my older drive. Nero came with on a CD, I'll give CDBurnerXP a try first. Q3 2011 I'll finely be upgrading my mobo, processor and Ram along with Windows 7.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Alright CDBurnerXP did the job perfectly, I'll just use my second DVD-RW drive as a spare. Also is there a way to burn an ISO image of Windows XP registry because "System Restore" doesn't always fix the issues when things go horribly wrong? Thanks Systemlord.