Normal temp for 2500K on stock cooler?

Just built my first system. I ran Prime95 for about an hour and monitored the temperature using Core Temp. At idle the core temps are about 29-30C. During the Prime95 test the average temperature across all cores was 69C over the hour, with a max temp of 74C. Are these reasonable temperatures for a system using the stock Intel cooler? I've googled but I can't find much info on a stock system (lots on OC'd and systems with upgraded cooling).

The system is as follows:

CPU: 2500K
Cooling: Stock
Mobo: ASRock extreme4
Case: Antec300
GPU: Asus EAH6850
RAM: G Skill Ripjaw 1600 (2x2GB)

I don't plan on OC-ing without upgrading the cooling, but I just want to make sure that it's okay for running games, etc. as - is. Thanks for any help!
5 answers Last reply
More about normal temp 2500k stock cooler
  1. Those temps are fine. Especially since real world temps will never come close to Prime 95 temps. I idle in the high 20s low 30s and hit the upper 60s in Prime 95 overclocked to 4.5 but I have an amazing cooler and case airflow.
  2. Confirming that those temps are normal and within the safe range for a stock-clocked system. Load temps while gaming will usually be around 20ºC less than Prime95 load temps, so you're good.
  3. The temps are fine but if you are concerned you can purchase a cheaper (less then $30) heatsink and those numbers will come way down.

You will need to buy a different heat sink anyways prior to overclocking. And yes I'm assuming you are overclocking since you have the 2500k, otherwise why spend the extra $20?
  4. Thanks all! Glad to get some confirmation on those temps. The instant I plan on doing an overclock I'll pick up a Hyper 212 but for now it's nice to know I'm doing okay on stock hardware.
  5. Confirmed same setup same temps!
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Cooling Temperature Overclocking