Sign in with
Your question

Connecting power supply

Last response: in Systems
May 23, 2009 5:21:58 AM

I have the ex58-ud4p and ocz 550w PSU.. Do i plug the 20 pin into the motherboard and the extra 4 pin thats attached to the 20 pin. Also do I plug the 8 pin plug from the psu to the atx 12v?

I currently have the 20 pin and the extra 4 plugged in and do not have the 8pin atx plugged in. When try to boot case fans do not come on (they are plugged into psu) and the video card doesnt appear to come on 9at least the fan on it isnt turning). I have the 2 pin plugs plugged in from the psu to the mother board...

any thought?
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
May 23, 2009 7:34:21 AM

The 8 pin connector needs to be plugged in next to the cpu. That supplies power to the cpu.

What video card do you have? Most video cards now require a 6 pin pcie connector to power the video card also.
May 23, 2009 7:40:08 AM

i have gtx 260... BTW i have windows 7 installed and seems to be running good.. Not sure how good my pc scores are but no tweaks or extra software, bare stock windows load and my score are :

processor 7.4
Ram 7.5
Graphics 6.5
Gaming graphics 6.5
primary hd 5.9

core i7 920 (stock) 6 gigs ram, 1 TB wd 7200 drive and the gtx 260

Are those scores good bad or what??

Quicky question.. I cant find my brand new usb receiver for the cordless keyboard/mouse I just bought, do I have to get an exact replacement or would it work if my friend has the usd receiver with broken keyboard and mouse
Related resources
May 23, 2009 8:01:06 AM

Wow what was the point of this thread, it doesn't even seem like you need help with the aforementioned question. Rather you just wanted to show off your system. FYI I wouldn't be surprised to see your psu go out on you pretty soon.

Typically the receiver and keyboard/mouse have a reset button so they can be synched together.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
May 23, 2009 8:03:35 AM

What are those scores from?

If you are talking about the dongle, they run on a specific frequency. If your friend's is by the same manufacturer, it may work. If not, then it probably won't. Doesn't hurt to try though.
May 23, 2009 8:05:27 AM

No i needed help and no i am not showing off my system... I youtubed several things while I was waiting for a response here.. i figured the plug needed to be plugged in but was scared i would fry something if I did.. After finding some videos and closely examining them in reference to the wiring, it was pretty simple. I do appreciate your help and advice though..

Now why would you say the psu may go out? do I have something wrong? do I need to change something?

May 23, 2009 8:10:22 AM

aford,
those scores are from the windows experience index ( i think thats what it is called).. not sure if that is reliable scoring or if there is better tests but just wanted some feedback to see if my system looks like it should at stock.. I had no idea if it is extremely high or low or midrange.. My only other pc's highest score is 5.2 but it is a laptop..
May 23, 2009 8:13:26 AM

On the psu, make sure you have enough amps. Typically a 550 watt psu won't have enough amps, to easily supply a high end system as yours. I've seen a 550 watt burnout in 4-6 months only on a core 2 duo and 8800gts512 sli system. Personally I wouldn't be running your system on a 550 watt, but I'd have to see your amperage.
May 23, 2009 8:16:50 AM

is there a way to view my amperage and if so i will post it here for you to see.. I got the psu that was suggested here from a build suggestion.. i completely trusted the person that gave me the list..

are there any good software that i can get that will show me the cpu temps and stuff while in windows? I used to have a tyan motherboard and it had some awsome sensor reading software i downloaded.. this is a gigabyte board if that makes a difference..
May 23, 2009 8:27:54 AM

I use speedfan and it works fine in the windows 7 rc. The specs of the psu are typically located on a sticker on the actual psu. If other people are running similar systems on this psu, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
May 23, 2009 9:12:15 AM

Speedfan is good software for temp monitoring.

You can't call a psu bad simply by the wattage. What model is it? dmv is right, the amps should be listed on the sticker. What you want to look for is the total amps on the 12v rails.

If this is your psu, you have plenty to run your system. No need to worry about that.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
May 23, 2009 4:35:25 PM

yes thats my psu
!