kennith13

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
Well, I've used this case twice so far, and I rather like it. I will say that cables are difficult, however, and this is why I post here tonight. Until recently, I hadn't bothered with bottom fan power supplies, but I find myself in the position of being forced to use one.

I've got a Corsair TX850 power supply that I intend to use with the case. This power supply is fitted with a 140mm bottom mounted fan.

Now, as we all know, the Antec 900 is setup to mount the power supply on the bottom, with only about 1mm of room under the supply for airflow. Now, some of you have simply mounted it upside down, but I'll come out and say that I would rather explore another option. There are several reasons why, but none of them are relevant to my question beyond being the reason it was posed.

I am tossing around the idea of simply cutting a hole in the bottom of the case and mounting a seal there so the fan can intake air from the outside environment, and exhaust it out the back of the case, without the airflow interacting with the internal environment of the case itself.

I believe the case already has sufficient exhaust flow all on it's own to manage heat, and I doubt losing the power supply flow will amount to any real increase thereof. In fact, in relation to the alternative (mounting it upside down), the loss of this interaction may increase cooling efficiency. Still, that is largely irrelevant.

I wonder if this is a largely stupid idea. That is really my question. Just how stupid is this? I'm pulling it apart, cutting holes, fitting things, and painting anyway, so why not?

As for my reasons, I'll detail them anyway, because some just won't rest until they know why. :)

First, mounting the power supply the proper side up will place the side where the cables exit it's housing a few inches closer to the motherboard mounting plate. This serves two purposes. First, it cleans up the appearance by keeping the cables laid against the back wall until they route to their destination. Second, this gives me a few more inches of length to run a few of them behind the motherboard mounting plate, and those few inches are the few I need to avoid using an extension on the 8 pin 12V cable.

Second, mounting it this way avoids the intake facing upward in the case, which can cause several problems, in my opinion. First, when mounted upside down, the intake is interacting with the same air mass as the GPU fan intake. Likewise, the Antec 900 is plainly designed to exhaust it's airflow UP. A fan sucking the air back down does little to increase this efficiency. One could argue that the GPU fan already pulls airflow down a bit, but that is a necessary evil.

Basically, it cleans up the airflow and keeps me from using extensions or modifying the power supply or it's cabling.

I am mainly curious if there is some plainly good reason not to cause the power supply to derive it's intake flow from the outside environment. Will it become too dusty, for example? Is there some other thing to worry about? Just think about it, and see if anyone has any good ideas.

ragsters

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
Use a hole saw or even a dremel to cut your 140mm hole. Also remember to put some edge molding and maybe some sort of filter. You are definitely not the first person that wanted to cut a blow hole on the bottom of a case so there are many tutorials in how to do it. Check out http://mnpctech.com/.

kennith13

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
Now THAT is a neat website. I'm glad you linked it. If you know of any others that sell the same kind of things, please let me know. I'm always into that oddball stuff, you never know what you will need sometimes.

I think I've got the cutting covered. I do most of my sheet metal work on cars. Cutting a hole in the bottom of this PC case shouldn't be an issue. I can probably get by with a nibbler. Of course, I've got a dremel and a circle jig as well. I've actually got a hole saw that big somewhere, but I doubt if I can find it.

I think I'm going to really get inside this one and get it right. I'll make a template for the cut this evening, and I'll use a spare Raidmax case I have to get a feel for the funky metal these things are made of. I have a feeling it will be pretty easy to cut and soft, and I've half a mind to try my jigsaw on the Raidmax.

Regardless, my main concern was the potential pitfalls of an outside intake for the PSU. If there really are no issues to speak of, I'm just going to go ahead and do it.

Cheers

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Are you going to raise the case up so there is enough room under it for intake air?

Is your floor clean enough so you don't clog the fan prematurely with dust, or maybe you intend to set the case on a shelf or on top of your desk.

kennith13

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
Yeah, I was going to raise the case up a bit, and install a removable filter element to help with the dust.

I'm not going to bother right now though. I want to go ahead a get her up and running, and the weather just has NOT been right here for painting. I don't expect it will be for a while. Too much dust and pollen, and too much humidity.

I will be doing this sometime in the near future, though. For now, I've got a more pressing question that I will ask in another thread. What I'll do with this is take another case and do the mods when I can grab one, and then move the system over and sell the original 900.