XP HOME - A CHANGE HAS HAPPENED UPON BOOTING UP

June 18, 2004 11:19:01 AM

Until 3 days ago my PC would boot directly to my desktop.
Mysteriously, (probably from an auto-update) I now boot to a screen where I have to choose a user.

I see this as an extra step which I don't want or need.

Can I turn it off somehow and return to the way it was (boot directly to desktop)?
If yes, then how?

And thank you in advance

More about : home change happened booting

Anonymous
June 18, 2004 3:59:02 PM

WILL:

The first suggestion worked like a charm. Thanks.
Should I download Tweak UI and have it handy, anyway?

Again; thanks much.
--
BUCKBUCK

"BUCKBUCK" wrote:

> Until 3 days ago my PC would boot directly to my desktop.
> Mysteriously, (probably from an auto-update) I now boot to a screen where I have to choose a user.
>
> I see this as an extra step which I don't want or need.
>
> Can I turn it off somehow and return to the way it was (boot directly to desktop)?
> If yes, then how?
>
> And thank you in advance
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 8:40:47 PM

Hi

Try this:

From Start>Run type in

control userpasswords2

then uncheck 'Users must enter a user name and password to use this
computer' and click 'Apply'. On the next screen - 'Automatically Log On' -
delete the name 'Administrator' from the User name box and enter your
account name and then the password in the next two boxes. OK your way out
and then reboot your system.

Or you can use Tweak UI:

You can download TweakUI from
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powert... and when
installed go to Programs>Powertoys for Windows XP>Tweak UI - then go to
Logon>Autologon.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

"BUCKBUCK" <BUCKBUCK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Until 3 days ago my PC would boot directly to my desktop.
| Mysteriously, (probably from an auto-update) I now boot to a screen where
I have to choose a user.

| I see this as an extra step which I don't want or need.
|
| Can I turn it off somehow and return to the way it was (boot directly to
desktop)?
| If yes, then how?
|
| And thank you in advance
June 19, 2004 12:08:46 AM

Hi

Tweak UI is useful for a lot of other settings - instead of having to
manually edit the Registry. Yes, download and install it to see what it has
to offer.

--

news:D F50CDA4-C68C-4914-8AEC-9231E9A749D9@microsoft.com...
| WILL:
|
| The first suggestion worked like a charm. Thanks.
| Should I download Tweak UI and have it handy, anyway?
|
| Again; thanks much.
| --
| BUCKBUCK
|

| "BUCKBUCK" wrote:
|
| > Until 3 days ago my PC would boot directly to my desktop.
| > Mysteriously, (probably from an auto-update) I now boot to a screen
where I have to choose a user.

| > I see this as an extra step which I don't want or need.
| >
| > Can I turn it off somehow and return to the way it was (boot directly to
desktop)?
| > If yes, then how?
| >
| > And thank you in advance
Anonymous
June 19, 2004 9:37:01 AM

Did it and I see. . .
And a final hearty thanks to you. . .
--
BUCKBUCK

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Tweak UI is useful for a lot of other settings - instead of having to
> manually edit the Registry. Yes, download and install it to see what it has
> to offer.
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "BUCKBUCK" <BUCKBUCK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D F50CDA4-C68C-4914-8AEC-9231E9A749D9@microsoft.com...
> | WILL:
> |
> | The first suggestion worked like a charm. Thanks.
> | Should I download Tweak UI and have it handy, anyway?
> |
> | Again; thanks much.
> | --
> | BUCKBUCK
> |

> | "BUCKBUCK" wrote:
> |
> | > Until 3 days ago my PC would boot directly to my desktop.
> | > Mysteriously, (probably from an auto-update) I now boot to a screen
> where I have to choose a user.
> | >
> | > I see this as an extra step which I don't want or need.
> | >
> | > Can I turn it off somehow and return to the way it was (boot directly to
> desktop)?
> | > If yes, then how?
> | >
> | > And thank you in advance

Anonymous
June 19, 2004 5:50:42 PM

You're very welcome.

--

| Did it and I see. . .
| And a final hearty thanks to you. . .
| --
| BUCKBUCK
|

| "Will Denny" wrote:
|
| > Hi
| >
| > Tweak UI is useful for a lot of other settings - instead of having to
| > manually edit the Registry. Yes, download and install it to see what it
has
| > to offer.
| >
| > --
| >
| > Will Denny
| > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
| > Please reply to the News Groups
| >

| > "BUCKBUCK" <BUCKBUCK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > news:D F50CDA4-C68C-4914-8AEC-9231E9A749D9@microsoft.com...
| > | WILL:
| > |
| > | The first suggestion worked like a charm. Thanks.
| > | Should I download Tweak UI and have it handy, anyway?
| > |
| > | Again; thanks much.
| > | --
| > | BUCKBUCK
| > |
| > |
| > | "BUCKBUCK" wrote:
| > |
| > where I have to choose a user.

| > desktop)?

Anonymous
May 22, 2005 6:26:24 PM

=?Utf-8?B?QlVDS0JVQ0s=?= Wrote:
> WILL:
>
> The first suggestion worked like a charm. Thanks.
> Should I download Tweak UI and have it handy, anyway?
>
> Again; thanks much.
> --
> BUCKBUCK
>

> "BUCKBUCK" wrote:
>
> > Until 3 days ago my PC would boot directly to my desktop.
> > Mysteriously, (probably from an auto-update) I now boot to a screen
> where I have to choose a user.
> >
> > I see this as an extra step which I don't want or need.
> >
> > Can I turn it off somehow and return to the way it was (boot directly
> to desktop)?
> > If yes, then how?
> >
> > And thank you in advance

I am also having the same problem. I consider this a prank rather than
a service from Windows XP. This thread does not, however, include the
solution to circumventing this sign in process. Does anyone have the
solution?

Thanks a ton. Jay

--
Jay RossPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access