XP HOME - A CHANGE HAS HAPPENED UPON BOOTING UP

Until 3 days ago my PC would boot directly to my desktop.
Mysteriously, (probably from an auto-update) I now boot to a screen where I have to choose a user.

I see this as an extra step which I don't want or need.

Can I turn it off somehow and return to the way it was (boot directly to desktop)?
If yes, then how?

And thank you in advance
6 answers Last reply
More about home change happened booting

    WILL:

    The first suggestion worked like a charm. Thanks.
    Should I download Tweak UI and have it handy, anyway?

    Again; thanks much.
    --
    BUCKBUCK

    "BUCKBUCK" wrote:

    > Until 3 days ago my PC would boot directly to my desktop.
    > Mysteriously, (probably from an auto-update) I now boot to a screen where I have to choose a user.
    >
    > I see this as an extra step which I don't want or need.
    >
    > Can I turn it off somehow and return to the way it was (boot directly to desktop)?
    > If yes, then how?
    >
    > And thank you in advance

    Hi

    Try this:

    From Start>Run type in

    control userpasswords2

    then uncheck 'Users must enter a user name and password to use this
    computer' and click 'Apply'. On the next screen - 'Automatically Log On' -
    delete the name 'Administrator' from the User name box and enter your
    account name and then the password in the next two boxes. OK your way out
    and then reboot your system.

    Or you can use Tweak UI:

    You can download TweakUI from
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp and when
    installed go to Programs>Powertoys for Windows XP>Tweak UI - then go to
    Logon>Autologon.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    "BUCKBUCK" <BUCKBUCK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | Until 3 days ago my PC would boot directly to my desktop.
    | Mysteriously, (probably from an auto-update) I now boot to a screen where
    I have to choose a user.

    | I see this as an extra step which I don't want or need.
    |
    | Can I turn it off somehow and return to the way it was (boot directly to
    desktop)?
    | If yes, then how?
    |
    | And thank you in advance

    Hi

    Tweak UI is useful for a lot of other settings - instead of having to
    manually edit the Registry. Yes, download and install it to see what it has
    to offer.

    --

    | WILL:
    |
    | The first suggestion worked like a charm. Thanks.
    | Should I download Tweak UI and have it handy, anyway?
    |
    | Again; thanks much.
    | --
    | BUCKBUCK
    |

    | "BUCKBUCK" wrote:
    |
    | > Until 3 days ago my PC would boot directly to my desktop.
    | > Mysteriously, (probably from an auto-update) I now boot to a screen
    where I have to choose a user.

    | > I see this as an extra step which I don't want or need.
    | >
    | > Can I turn it off somehow and return to the way it was (boot directly to
    desktop)?
    | > If yes, then how?
    | >
    | > And thank you in advance

    Did it and I see. . .
    And a final hearty thanks to you. . .
    --
    BUCKBUCK

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Tweak UI is useful for a lot of other settings - instead of having to
    > manually edit the Registry. Yes, download and install it to see what it has
    > to offer.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "BUCKBUCK" <BUCKBUCK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > | WILL:
    > |
    > | The first suggestion worked like a charm. Thanks.
    > | Should I download Tweak UI and have it handy, anyway?
    > |
    > | Again; thanks much.
    > | --
    > | BUCKBUCK
    > |

    > | "BUCKBUCK" wrote:
    > |
    > | > Until 3 days ago my PC would boot directly to my desktop.
    > | > Mysteriously, (probably from an auto-update) I now boot to a screen
    > where I have to choose a user.
    > | >
    > | > I see this as an extra step which I don't want or need.
    > | >
    > | > Can I turn it off somehow and return to the way it was (boot directly to
    > desktop)?
    > | > If yes, then how?
    > | >
    > | > And thank you in advance

    You're very welcome.

    --

    | Did it and I see. . .
    | And a final hearty thanks to you. . .
    | --
    | BUCKBUCK
    |

    | "Will Denny" wrote:
    |
    | > Hi
    | >
    | > Tweak UI is useful for a lot of other settings - instead of having to
    | > manually edit the Registry. Yes, download and install it to see what it
    has
    | > to offer.
    | >
    | > --
    | >
    | > Will Denny
    | > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
    | > Please reply to the News Groups
    | >

    | > "BUCKBUCK" <BUCKBUCK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | > | WILL:
    | > |
    | > | The first suggestion worked like a charm. Thanks.
    | > | Should I download Tweak UI and have it handy, anyway?
    | > |
    | > | Again; thanks much.
    | > | --
    | > | BUCKBUCK
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | "BUCKBUCK" wrote:
    | > |
    | > where I have to choose a user.

    | > desktop)?

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    =?Utf-8?B?QlVDS0JVQ0s=?= Wrote:
    > WILL:
    >
    > The first suggestion worked like a charm. Thanks.
    > Should I download Tweak UI and have it handy, anyway?
    >
    > Again; thanks much.
    > --
    > BUCKBUCK
    >

    > "BUCKBUCK" wrote:
    >
    > > Until 3 days ago my PC would boot directly to my desktop.
    > > Mysteriously, (probably from an auto-update) I now boot to a screen
    > where I have to choose a user.
    > >
    > > I see this as an extra step which I don't want or need.
    > >
    > > Can I turn it off somehow and return to the way it was (boot directly
    > to desktop)?
    > > If yes, then how?
    > >
    > > And thank you in advance

    I am also having the same problem. I consider this a prank rather than
    a service from Windows XP. This thread does not, however, include the
    solution to circumventing this sign in process. Does anyone have the
    solution?

    Thanks a ton. Jay

    --
    Jay RossPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access