New Office Desktop Help

hardcor32

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
I'm going to be buying a new desktop computer for my home office. I've been told AMD and Intel are the same just AMD is cheaper, but everything I read on here says that Intel is far superior. I want a fast, reliable, and cost effective computer that doesn't lag when multitasking. I was trying to find an Intel Core 2 Quad or AMD Phenom II x4 processor around 3 GHz and upwards of 8 Gb of RAM.

Can anyone tell if this would be good enough? And if 2.66 GHz i7 processor would be much faster than a 2.8 GHz Intel Quad or AMD Phenom II?

AMD and Intel are generally competitive at the same price point. Intel is far superior in the high-end because AMD doesn't have stuff to compete well with i7.

Will you be playing games?

What programs will you be running?

Right now the systems you are describing would be more than adequte for a "home office", thinking of Internet, Office, and general applications.

You accidentally double threaded, you should delete this one: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265792-28-desktop-comp-help

hardcor32

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
I highly doubt I'll be playing games, but I will be running programs like Photoshop, other editing programs, Office, and some video editing.

Mainly internet and office though, but I heard Vista and 7 take up a lot for multitasking.