CHKDSK /R on SSD Gives BSOD

consultant1027

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
I just installed a Kingston 128GB VNow SSD in my brand new Thinkpad Edge 15. I found that I cannot do a image backup of my C: Drive with any backup program. Some programs give me an I/O error like Windows Backup, others get a Blue Screen of Death about halfway through.

I scheduled a CHKDSK C: /R so CHKDSK is run on the C: drive before Windows comes up. It gets through all the files test no issues, but on the last test (the sector test I presume) it crashed with BSOD about halfway through.

I'm trying to determine if the SSD could be corrupt and a reformat and re-install will fix it (bummer I can't even make an image copy so it will take hours to reinstall my dozens of apps), OR, could it be some sort of hardware compatibility issue or configuration problem.

I saw a post somewhere referencing an SSD and BSOD and the recommendation was to change the SATA setting in the BIOS for ACHI to COMPATIBILITY. I tried that, but then Windows won't load, it crashes right after you see the Starting Windows part so I had to set it back to ACHI. I did see some reference to changing the mode BEFORE installing Windows. Could this be the issue.

The machine runs great otherwise. I have the SSD partitioned into a C: and D: drive and I can backup all my data (file backup not image copy) on D: no problems.

I checked the alignment and got this:

Partition 1 Primary Size=1199MB Offset=1024MB (SYSTEM_DRV partition)
Partition 2 Primary Size=48GB Offset=1200MB (this is my C: drive)
Partition 3 Primary Size=69GB Offset=49GB (this is D

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Maybe Kingston is crap and I need to just go back to Corsair Xtreme like I used before on my other laptop? Is probably a faulty hardware issue or do I just need to reformat it? (Bummer I can't create an image to restore as reinstalling my dozens of apps will take hours!)

consultant1027

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
I should probably add that the SSD was partitioned through Disk Manager in Windows after the O/S was installed. And I noticed in looking at the C: Drive properties the defrag option is available which would mean Windows doesn't think it is an SSD. Not sure if that matters.

If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. I don't know enough about SSD's. I hate to waste days of with trial and error. The SSD was a great deal at $150 after $50 rebate at Buy.com but maybe you get what you pay for?

BlueIslandPat

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
Singing my song, pal. Getting similar errors and blue screens on my Gateway desktop that's running Win7.
* Bad_System_config_info
* Crashed while running chkdsk/r
* Also, MFT error during start-up

Microsoft tech support pointed me towards hardware. And, the MFT error prompted suggestions of a failing hard drive. After running MEMtest successfully on individual sticks, and then, a diagnositic utility from Western Digital on my HDD, I'm at a loss.