'Healthy' SATA behaving worse than 'Unhealthy' IDE

Let me first give a summary of my computer. Two years back I brought my first PC and ended up making a mistake of buying Biostar MoBo that only supported TDP proc of 95W while my proc was a 125W one. My PSU was some unkown 550W crap. I installed Windows XP in my then new 500GB Seagate Barracuda hdd. within a month I had regular freezes and crashes. Questions on forums made me realise it could be my CPU / MoBo incompatibility.

Since then, I have had a new replacement for my 500GB from Seagate because the first one failed. Few months back I brought a new 450VX Corsair PSU. AND, as fate (or stupidity) would have it, when I decided to do away with my weak MoBo, I ended up with another 95W limit MoBo - I brought an A785GE instead of a TA785BE Biostar. Two weeks back I did a RAM upgrade from 2GB to 4GB. My issues with the new stick have been solved.

Recently, I installed Windows 7 on the SATA harddisk and used to get a lot of freezes and crashes. Yesterday I re-installed Windows (for a thousandth time) but this time installed on a very old IDE 250GB HDD that I had. Until now, it's working perfectly without any issues.

So, I deduce from all this that my only problem right now is my SATA HDD (which is a replacement after the first one failed). What is the reason? Two reasons I can think of are
1: SATA being newer tech is not working fine with TDP problems my CPU might have with my MoBo (if any, this is just a guess, I am a noob).
2: Seagate has been making crap HDDs of late!!

Thanks for any help.
1 answer Last reply
More about healthy sata behaving worse unhealthy
  1. Alright.. if there's not answer for this, at least someone tell me what's the best new 1TB to buy and replace both my old IDE and faulty SATA? I don't think I can trust Seagate anymore. Also not sure if there is anything I need to keep in mind while buying a HDD of that capacity with my current config.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Storage