New Desktop Comp Help

hardcor32

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
I'm going to be buying a new desktop computer for my home office. I've been told AMD and Intel are the same just AMD is cheaper, but everything I read on here says that Intel is far superior. I want a fast, reliable, and cost effective computer that doesn't lag when multitasking. I was trying to find an Intel Core 2 Quad or AMD Phenom II x4 processor around 3 GHz and upwards of 8 Gb of RAM.

Can anyone tell if this would be good enough? And if 2.66 GHz i7 processor would be much faster than a 2.8 GHz Intel Quad or AMD Phenom II?

jimishtar

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
at stock speeds the i7 is undisputed heavy weight champion. however, some overclocked intel & amd quads outperform or at least get close to i7. maybe its best that u wait for a couple of months and get some of the new i5, those should rock.

Phenom 810 / Asus 785G / Crucial 2Gb DDR3 1333: $260

Add as many 2Gb sticks as you like for $35 a pop - they are on the Guaranteed-compatible memory list for Crucial.

If you feel an overwhelming need for 3GHz the PHII 810 is quite the charmer at stock volts ...

asus790gx13x240c7stkvcpuzS.jpg

From time to time you may find you may find a more suitable Phenom 945 combo deal but I suspect that for the most part even the Phenom 720 Black Edition will suit your needs at only $120.

Most importantly - get on the New Egg email list for 'Hot Deals'. I snagged 2 Super Talent SSDs at a great price last week.