HighPies

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Hey, im currently running my Athlon x4 620 at 3.25Ghz giving it 1.376v and im already hitting max temps of 59c-62c the idle temps if fine at 34c-35c. Is this normal? I have a aftermarket cooler on it from CM called Hyper tx3 and i used the thermal grease that came with it, could it be the thermal grease isnt good enough? or it wasnt applied correctly?.

I can push this Athlon to 3.6-7Ghz but i have to go into 1.4v and the temps comes close to 70c i think it would go over but i stop it before it comes to close. I see others pushing 1.4v and there temps just hit 60c.

I do stay in a hot place but i found these temps dont change much at night when its even raining and cold.

thanks.

szymek

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2008
Temps should exceed 60 degrees. Try to reseat the cooling and check the airflow in your case, sounds like this is the case.

I did some cooler testing a while ago and found a Phenom x 4 C3 (140W the hot one) @3.7GHz (1.475V) with a TX3 ran at 36C idle and 59C full load (running prime95) with as room temp of 21C. So even at 3.6-3.7GHz 1.4V you should get lower than 38C above your room temp unless your case has poor airflow. Try with the side of the case off if temps are better its poor case airflow if they are worse you have good case airflow and it must be the cooler installation.

HighPies

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
i removed the side panel and my temps dropped drastically, i was just busy jaming games and with the side panel on i was at 44c-46c, with it off im as low as 32c-34c.

HighPies

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
I went lookin around for cases online, the current one i got i believe is this one

http://www.landmarkpc.co.za/store/coolermaster-rc335-elite-with-thermal-master-350w-p-5872.html

The one i want to buy to replace it is

http://www.landmarkpc.co.za/store/coolermaster-rc370-elite-windowed-side-panel-black-p-4873.html

is it a worthwhile purchase? im on a very tight budget.

EDIT: just as a quick test i stressed tested my cpu at current settings with the side panel off, maxed 42c, im really amazed at how much a difference air flow can make.

jb6684

Distinguished
The case you have is pretty good already. Let's check fans, hey WAY cheaper than a new case..... :) )

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119161

Let's check a few things:
- did you install the Optional Front 120mm intake fan ? (this will help the most to get in more cool air...)
- have you installed any fans on your side panel ? (with after market cooler I'm assuming your removed that black plastic duct?)
- are you still using the stock Rear 120mm exhaust fan?

These fans move a lot of air, and are quiet. Try one at the front of the case. If that helps and budget alllows, replace the rear exhaust with one of these also....

Coolermaster R4-C2R-20AC-GP - Sickleflow Transparent 120x120x25mm Fan

http://www.landmarkpc.co.za/store/coolermaster-r4c2r20acgp-sickleflow-transparent-120x120x25mm-p-3792.html

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103064

Cooler checks:
- is the fan on your cooler oriented to blow air straight thru the fins on the heat sink
- and then straight to the back of the case ? (so that rear exhaust pulls the CPU heat out of the case)

HighPies

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Unfortunately the case that i got looks exactly the same as the one you linked but it has a see through side panel with no fan options. So the max amount of case fans i can take is 2, which is the optional intake fan (which i did take) and the rear exhaust fan, both are still stock.

When i bought the aftermarket cooler i asked them to install it since i have never done it. The fan on it is blowing down towards my GPU, so im assuming the hot air stays in the case.

Are those coolermaster fans alot better than stock ones?

You have found the problem its because the mounted the fan blowing down which makes no sense in any case. You need to reinstall it blowing front to back this should solve all your issues. You need to remove the mount from the cooler and put it on the other way round (I made the mistake myself of not noticing you could do this but it was not a problem for me as I set it blowing bottom to top and had an exhaust fan at the top, it was only after I removed it that I noticed you can remove the clip and put it on the other way round). I would complain to the person who fitted it as its total stupidity to mount it that way.

jb6684

Distinguished
Yeah, I"d simply ask the store that mounted in wrongly to fix it for you...... If they won't Google for an installation video and it should be clear how to remove and re-orientate the cooler.

Then check your temps. If you want them lower go pickup one or two of the fans I suggested, they will move MUCH more air than the stock fans. If you go for just one, replace the rear exhaust 1st (be sure the fan blow air Out of your case). Should help the most as you already have a front Intake fan.

NOTE: if you have a fan controller header on your motherboard connect the fan to it then it'll run slow when cool and full speed when the CPU is hot......

pipinhot2

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
How much are you willing to spend on a case?

Here in Australia i picked up the NZXT Tempest EVO for $128 Includes 6 fans Alot of room for expansion/Watercooling if you wanted to go there, it fits massive full length cards. Its a God in price to performance so if your after a long lasting case. i would start there. Probs around $100 US.

Although it dosnt support USB3 on the front panel. But you can always purchase a 3.5" Drive bay device like here. http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/p_contents.php?pno=FP36&area=usa

HighPies

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
$100 is going to be alot here by me, a lil to much. I switched the aftermarket cooler / fan to the other side, my CPU temps stayed the same, only thing that went different was my GPU temp as its lower now

HighPies

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
i just moved it, i cant make it blow front to back unless i take the hole aftermarket cooler off, re-apply the thermal compound and i dont think i can install it that way anyway (with the AMD mobo clip thing)

You can remove the clip from the cooler and put it on the other way to blow from front to back. This will solve the issues you have but you will need to clean off the old thermal paste and reapply it.