My Build Is As Follows

Case: CoolerMaster Storm Sniper
MoBo: Asrock X58 Extreme
CPU : Intel I7 920 with Stock Heatsink
Mem : 6GB (3x2GB) OCZ Gold DDR3 1600
GPU : XFX ATI Radeon 5870 1GB GDDR5
PSU : Corsair 950W PSU
HDD : Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM Sata II 16MB Cache

Average Room Temperature is around 65-70 degrees Fahrenheit.

I've also replaced the side fan on the tower with 2 120mm Cooler Master SickleFlow 120 R4's

(Ones with no links provided are because they are not listed any longer on Newegg's website)
Of course any other info I can provide, please let me know.

I have NEVER tried to OC my CPU, I'm kinda scared to break the thing since I put a good deal of money into it. However, as times have changed, I've wanted to give this a shot now.

What I simply want to find out is this:

1) Why does it say my CPU is only running at 1600Mhz Core Speed on CPUZ, but it periodically show's 2.8 Ghz??

2) Given that I OC this with a stock intel heatsink and stock cooling, what is a realistic goal to OC this too? I know 4Ghz is not a smart idea if I want the thing to last, but a reasonable goal perhaps?

3) I know its not about my CPU, but my memory says its running at a DRAM Frequency of 533.3 Mhz... its DDR3 1600... am I Missing something? lol :) 

My general uses for the computer are gaming, I mostly play MMO's such as RIFT and WoW, along with Dragon Age Origins and Mass Effect 2 and CoD MW2. I know I'll hear it as well, yes I know my PSU is major overkill lol :p  Was plannin on upgrading this baby till the day it dies when I got it, hence the overkill :) 

Again, I appreciate ANY information and assistance, and anything more that I can provide please ask I will GLADLY provide it to assist. Ty for your time! :) 

More about : time ocer seeking

April 3, 2011 8:53:52 AM

Hi night!

What kind of video card? I'm assuming a 6950? If so, get 2 of those things, unlock them to 6970, and pwn with that PSU. Will be amazing performance with that processor OC'd as well.

Anyway...

1) May be a speedstep issue, but this sounds very odd as the i7 920 runs at 2.67ghz, and shouldn't be 2.8ghz at stock.

First, make sure you're reading your CPU-Z information correctly. Then make sure your BIOS has every thing that can slow down your processor disabled. If you're not sure what all those things are, check the overclocking guides found in these forums for more info.

2) With the stock cooler, simply see if you can understand how to OC that CPU, or rather, learn your BIOS and that processor's architecture. Do not overclock it past 2.8 ghz. With all that awesome hardware, get yourself a good CPU heatsink and fan. If you don't want to remove the mobo and install a backplate, I'd recommend the Scythe Yasya for the best price/performance ratio. If you don't mind taking an hour or so to install the cooler, the Noctua NH-14 seems to be best. Once you're comfortable with overclocking, however, either of those coolers will provide enough cooling to get to 3.5 ghz... which is more than enough for any game currently available.

3) DDR3 effectually means you're multiplying the data rate by 3. 533.3x3 = 1600. So don't worry, it's fine.

Again, check some guides and get comfortable/familiar with your particular BIOS and processor. Let us know how it goes.
m
l
April 3, 2011 9:03:59 AM

Romeka Bonaface said:
Hi night!

What kind of video card? I'm assuming a 6950? If so, get 2 of those things, unlock them to 6970, and pwn with that PSU. Will be amazing performance with that processor OC'd as well.

Anyway...

1) May be a speedstep issue, but this sounds very odd as the i7 920 runs at 2.67ghz, and shouldn't be 2.8ghz at stock.

First, make sure you're reading your CPU-Z information correctly. Then make sure your BIOS has every thing that can slow down your processor disabled. If you're not sure what all those things are, check the overclocking guides found in these forums for more info.

2) With the stock cooler, simply see if you can understand how to OC that CPU, or rather, learn your BIOS and that processor's architecture. Do not overclock it past 2.8 ghz. With all that awesome hardware, get yourself a good CPU heatsink and fan. If you don't want to remove the mobo and install a backplate, I'd recommend the Scythe Yasya for the best price/performance ratio. If you don't mind taking an hour or so to install the cooler, the Noctua NH-14 seems to be best. Once you're comfortable with overclocking, however, either of those coolers will provide enough cooling to get to 3.5 ghz... which is more than enough for any game currently available.

3) DDR3 effectually means you're multiplying the data rate by 3. 533.3x3 = 1600. So don't worry, it's fine.

Again, check some guides and get comfortable/familiar with your particular BIOS and processor. Let us know how it goes.

Haha sorry I edited the post to show its a 5870 my bad :p  Was the 2nd best GPU out at the time I bought the computer, only the 5970 was better (GTX 480's were bout 3 weeks from being released).

I read some ppl saying the ASrock x58 board auto OC's the 920 to 2.8 Ghz, so that might be part of it.

I guess my question to your #2 would be how difficult is it to remove a Stock Cooler? like if Thermal Paste is involved, etc... could I hurt the CPU etc???

And per #3, ty! I did not know that, makes me feel a bit better hehe :p 
m
l
Related resources
April 3, 2011 9:22:43 AM

Ah, 5870 is a great card too. Still need two of em to take advantage of that PSU and CPU! :) 

Haven't had any experience with any x58 chipset, or 1366 chips, but that may be true. Anyway, look into disabling speedstep, C1E, maxvalue (occasionally this can be enabled) etc.

Very easy. Just unscrew and pop it up. Be gentle, yet firm. Remove thermal compound from the CPU with a lint free cloth and cotton swab dipped in 91% isopropyl alcohol. Careful not to get any rubbing alcohol or thermal compound on any other parts, and try not to touch anything in your computer with bare hands. Even if they've been washed, oils from your skin can affect your hardware. Always ground yourself too (touch the metal rims of your case, not near your PSU)... just in case.

Installing a full mounted cooler (with a backplate) is a bit more work and cost than needed unless you're trying to push the CPU to it's limits. Even a freezer 7 pro or hyper 212 will give you great cooling for a modest to decent OC. My freezer 7 pro rev 2 cools my new Q9450 to under 64 degrees on all prime95 tests at 3.26, but gets super hot at 3.4.

I'm thinking about a yasya myself :D 
m
l
a c 225 à CPUs
a c 161 K Overclocking
April 3, 2011 2:42:52 PM

Quote:
1) Why does it say my CPU is only running at 1600Mhz Core Speed on CPUZ, but it periodically show's 2.8 Ghz??

Speed step - This slows your puter down when you don't need the horsepower. Ya wanna see what it runs at under load, pout a load on it.

http://www.ocbase.com/perestroika_en/index.php?Download

As for the 2.8, that the turbo boost which changes the multiplier from 20 to 21, again automatically.

133.33 x 20 = 2.67 GHz
133.33 x 21 = 2.80 Ghz

Quote:
2) Given that I OC this with a stock intel heatsink and stock cooling, what is a realistic goal to OC this too? I know 4Ghz is not a smart idea if I want the thing to last, but a reasonable goal perhaps?

Run OCCT CPU test after notching up the OC a bit. Look at the temp graphs for the CPU cores when done. Stop at 72C peak. Notch the Vcore voltage down a bit and try again. This will reduce temps....and allow a slight BCK increase. Balance voltage and heat until you get ya best stable OC.

Quote:
3) I know its not about my CPU, but my memory says its running at a DRAM Frequency of 533.3 Mhz... its DDR3 1600... am I Missing something?

Yes, it's running at default speed. Its double data rate memory so 533 x 2 = 1066

Stock Settings
133 BCLK x 8 memory multiplier = 1066 (divided by 2 will show 533)
133 BCLK x 20 CPU multiplier = 2.67 GHz

Memory overclock
133 BCLK x 12 memory multiplier = 1600 (divided by 2 will show 800)
133 BCLK x 20 CPU multiplier = 2.67 GHz

20 % System Overclock (recommended)
160 BCLK x 10 memory multiplier = 1600
160 BCLK x 20 CPU multiplier = 3.20 GHz

As for coolers, avoid websites that list performance based upon the old LGA 775 platform. The heat signatures for that platform are no where near similar to the 1366 platform rendering the rankings relatively useless.

The budget winner is the Scythe Mugen 2 SCMG 2100 rev B which beats the Hyper 212 by a full 7C degrees. The current top air cooler is the Thermalright Silver Arrow tho I expect the new Prolimatech genesis to give it a run for its money. As to the "self contained water coolers", the Kuhler 620 is the clear winner there.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

$40 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$70 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Clean the old thermal paste off with isoprophyl alcohol and replace ikt w/ this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
!