Sapphire ATI Radeon X1650 Pro Installation

bonosk

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
Hello All: I just bought an ATI Radeon X1650 Pro (512 MB) AGP for my older VelocityMicro AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (Abit KV8-MAX3 mobo) system, but I find the installation guidance woefully inadequate.

The installation "sheet of paper" simply says to remove the old card and install the new one, and then go through the driver software install. However, on the bubble wrapping that the new card is in, a sticker says "you must connect this graphics card to the computer's power supply" but with no support on doing that, other than the provided power cable. My current GeForce FX5700 LE never had such a connection - it was simply plugged into the AGP slot, so I'm not sure if I'm properly connecting the X1650. Making things worse, the CD that came with the X1650 online has manuals for only the HD series of the Radeon cards - not a help.

If anyone has had installation experience with this card, your guidance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Irish

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
From all the pictures that I can find of the agp card it looks as though is does not need a connection from the PSU. It could be as simple as that Plugging the card in, booting, uninstalling the Nvidia drivers and (dont use the cd) go the ATI web site and DL the latest driver for your card.

I could be wrong about psu connection but I found about 15 pics of the card and none appear to have the added 6 pin plug on the end. So plug it in and go.

GL Irish

bonosk

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
Thanks for the info. I tried the card with just the connection to the AGP slot, and it started with the fan but all I got was colored static and refresh lines on screen. Then I plugged in the 4-pin power cable that used to go to my floppy drive and booted again. The card then ran properly; I guess it needed the extra power directly form the PSU.