Tags:
  • Gaming
  • Keyboards
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
a b 4 Gaming
August 27, 2009 4:25:24 PM

Well, my birthday has come and gone recently and my wife and parents have kindly given me MONEY for my birthday. I normally tend to use the money on computer stuff and I'm in the mood to purchase a gaming keyboard. I'm looking for three things...

1.) Recommendations... (FYI... I've seen the G11 and don't like how it looks so I know many users like it but it isn't for me... :pfff:  )
2.) Backlit illumination on the keyboard and an option for WASD cluster lighting would be nice as well... (I do some late night gaming and I keep the room where my PC is a little dark, so seeing the keys in low lighting better would be nice. :D  )
3.) Justification on cost & benefits... (I almost bought the Razer Tarantula at my local Microcenter but their cost is $99.99 and I couldn't pull myself to do it. I'm looking for feedback that will allow me to spend this money on a keyboard.)

Here is my short list...
  • RAZER Tarantula Black USB Standard Gaming Keyboard - Retail
  • Saitek Eclipse III Black USB Wired Standard Backlit Multimedia Keyboard - Retail
  • Logitech G15 104 Normal Keys 29 Function Keys USB Wired Standard Gaming Keyboard - Retail
  • Microsoft SideWinder X6 Black Keyboard Win USB English - Retail
  • RAZER RZ03-00181400-R3U1 Black 104 Normal Keys USB Wired Standard Lycosa Mirror Special Edition Gaming Keyboard - Retail

Any and all recommendations and comments are welcome!!

I'm normally on the other side giving help on new builds, so it is nice at times to ask others for their input on what I'm working on!!
  • More about : 100 gaming keyboard

August 27, 2009 5:48:27 PM

Long story short, it's all personal preference. I have heard nothing but good things about all of those keyboards, and you would probably be happy with whichever one you go with. It all just depends on the features that you are looking for, such as the LCD on the G15, or the removable/interchangable number pad on the Sidewinder.

The only one I can really say anything about though is the G15 since I actually own one, and let me tell you that I just love that thing. The G keys are pretty nice macro buttons that help in many games, the backlight is nice and I like it but orange might not be your color. I don't know about your preference, but the keys have a softer feel rather than a clicky feel which I like. I really love the LCD and the music control buttons, thos both come in handy while gaming, and you can download a program called myLCD and customize your own screen to readout CPU temps and usage and other specs etc.
    m
    l
    August 27, 2009 8:13:31 PM

Under 100$ the G15 would be the best option if you are ok with "orange" ......

or

Saitek Eclipse III ...........

m
    l
    Related resources
    a b 4 Gaming
    August 27, 2009 9:18:52 PM

OvrClkr said:
    Under 100$ the G15 would be the best option if you are ok with "orange" ......

or

Saitek Eclipse III ...........

Razer boards are a waste of money IMO..... poor build quality....

Is the Saitex a good board? I'm okay with the orange lights of the G15.

I wanted a Razer to match my Deathadder but I agree not too many good reviews for them. I lobe my mouse though... :D 
    m
    l
    August 27, 2009 9:28:21 PM

Both are nice....the reason I would go with the G15 is due to the fact that the overall feel to it and reliability is superior than most keyboards.....

The saitek is a very good board as well.... it's a matter of taste when comparing both.....some would rather get the saitek due to the user has multi-color LED's to choose from, as opposed to the "orange" only on the G15.....

....Message edited.........
    m
    l
    a b 4 Gaming
    August 27, 2009 9:47:15 PM

Next question... Are they worth it? Will I see a benefit in FPS with either one of these or will they perform just like my cheap $10 keyboard?
    m
    l
    August 27, 2009 9:49:51 PM

Hmmm it is a bit of a matter of personal preference, I went with the tarantula mainly because of the anti ghosting capability, aka ability to press a limitless number of keys at once. The feel of the tarantula is pretty top notch, though the lack of backlight through all of the keys is a bit disappointing. Also, the accessories they advertised for the dock are all pretty bad and nothing new has come up for a while.

Basically I bought it so i could crouch + move forward+ strafe+ jetpack + reload.

This probably isn't a deal for most people, but was a deciding factor for me.

m
    l
    August 27, 2009 9:51:25 PM

They will perform the same as your $10 dollar keyboard.....

You will see a difference in feel and the different bells and whistles.... but thats about it..... this is one of the reason's I game on this :

Saitek PZ30AU Black 104 Normal Keys 4 Function Keys USB Standard Eclipse Keyboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
    m
    l
    August 27, 2009 9:52:53 PM

To add to my last post, don't get the tarantula if its at full price, I got mine about 2 years ago, for about 70, so try to find a deal, I wouldnt say any of those keyboards listed is worth 100 bucks.

I like the feel of the keys onthe g15, but i feel like the screen is fairly useless, and the keys presses were a bit too soft for me.

You could also look into maybe a mechanical switch keyboard, such as a deck or das keyboard. I've only ever heard good things about them, and my next keyboard purchase will probably be one of those. This might be out of the 100 dollar price range though depending on the board.
    m
    l
    August 27, 2009 9:57:07 PM

Exactly, thats why I refuse to spend more than 40.00$ on a decent gaming keyboard.... the DAS is in a league of its own.... but too expensive for me..... id rather buy a new mobo for the price of a high-end keyboard......
    m
    l
    August 27, 2009 10:01:52 PM

Basically any membrane keyboard will preform the same, the anti ghosting thing mattered to me, but probably not to most people.

Mechanical switch keyboards are a whole different matter though, many people become really incredible touch typists once they get used to it, and their typing speed can go up by as much as 50 wpm
    m
    l
    August 27, 2009 10:03:11 PM

Hahah yeah i agree it definitely is really pricey, but I honestly haven't heard a single bad thing about mechanical switch keyboards, other than price.
    m
    l
    August 27, 2009 10:19:16 PM

I never thought I'd spend so much money on a "gaming" keyboard. However, I fell in love with my Razer Lycosa. It's not the special edition posted here, but it has worked flawlessly for me. I love the rubber coated laptop keys. I wish there were other colors for the backlight other than blue but I like blue and I couldn't be happier with it. I don't see why they get such bad reviews but I've never had a problem with mine.
    m
    l
    a b 4 Gaming
    August 27, 2009 10:20:21 PM

OvrClkr said:
    They will perform the same as your $10 dollar keyboard.....

You will see a difference in feel and the different bells and whistles.... but thats about it..... this is one of the reason's I game on this :

Saitek PZ30AU Black 104 Normal Keys 4 Function Keys USB Standard Eclipse Keyboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I think you just might have found my keyboard for me!! :)  I like the cost better and has blue backlighting to go with my mouse & Antec 1200.
    m
    l
    a b 4 Gaming
    August 27, 2009 10:31:20 PM

Or should I just get the G19 and double my cost... Haha! :D 

Thanks for everyone's feedback & more is welcome... I'm only 90% sure I might get the keyboard listed by OvrClkr. :na: 
    m
    l
    August 27, 2009 10:38:14 PM

tecmo34 said:
    Next question... Are they worth it? Will I see a benefit in FPS with either one of these or will they perform just like my cheap $10 keyboard?

It's all a matter of feeling, you won't get any special powers or anything (well, unless you consider some of the macros special powers that is), but you will have a much better feeling keyboard.
    m
    l
    August 27, 2009 10:46:38 PM

The G19 is flawless IMO, but waaaaay to expensive.....

For the price of the G19 you might as well buy another 260 and tri-sli and still have some cash saved up for a decent keyboard...lol...
    m
    l
    a b 4 Gaming
    August 27, 2009 11:02:48 PM

I was actually thinking of getting a GTX295 for my Physics card... lol!!

Ok... back to the topic...

Which one:
    OvrClkr's keyboard
    G15
    Eclipse III
    Razer Lycosa

Best: Price, Appearance & Functions??
    m
    l
    August 28, 2009 12:45:31 AM

Personally I'm not a big fan of the saitek, but I think the board is pretty nice, the lycosa also has blue backlighting, if thats what your looking for. It seems that ovrclkr's saitek is the cheapest, might as well go for that one.
    m
    l
    August 28, 2009 2:09:08 AM

It's really a matter of taste... I would suggest you go to Best Buy and test them out.... that's what I did.... practically spent 1 hour playing around with them before i chose one....

Got home ordered on Newegg and got the board in less than 2 days (free shipping).... [:jaydeejohn:5]
    m
    l

Best solution

August 28, 2009 2:24:10 AM

Almost hate to say this since OvrClkr put the thumbs down on the Razer boards, but I've got the Lycosa and do like it better than any other gaming keyboard I've purchased including the too freakin long for my desk setup Merc Stealth, that is shelved somewhere around here but not in service at the time.

I love the blue back key lighting on the Lycosa board its great when gaming with the lights out, which is most of the time, the M/B itself is sleek and good looking, and the keys are fairly quiet for typing, so thats my 2 cents.
    August 28, 2009 2:27:13 AM

Well that's why I'm saying its a matter of taste....my bad for the thumbs down, but I just can't get the right feel to it.... guess im used to logitech and saitek.... that's all.... hehe

BTW i edited that post..... just to make you feel better.... :whistle: 
    m
    l
    August 28, 2009 2:46:46 AM

i like the g15 but dont have money for it right now :(  i always seem to get lazy when it goes to buying a keyboard and mouse.
    m
    l
    August 28, 2009 2:47:45 AM

OvrClkr said:
    Well that's why I'm saying its a matter of taste....my bad for the thumbs down, but I just can't get the right feel to it.... guess im used to logitech and saitek.... that's all.... hehe

BTW i edited that post..... just to make you feel better.... :whistle: 

No need for that man, we all have our own opinions!

The Lycosa is good for me because I have to do so much more with my keyboard than game, but when its time for gaming, its been a pretty descent K/B so far, and if it wasn't I'd say so.

The Merc Stealth I have that got shelved, just didn't cut it for me, but for others its great, it really does boil down to a persons preference.

The prior suggestion for the guy to go to someplace like Best Buy and try out the models for himself is a great suggestion, that is if he lives near one.

m
    l
    a b 4 Gaming
    August 28, 2009 8:22:28 AM

I work 10 minutes away from the Microcenter in Cincy, OH so stop in a couple times a week. I've checked the feel & look of the Logitech & Saitek boards and like the G15. I'll have to see if I can pull out of the box the one Razer they have to get the feel of it then.

Best Buy is another option as well. I guess I never realized they carried these types of keyboards. :) 

thanks for the replies...
    m
    l
    August 28, 2009 8:48:02 AM

Yeah actually checking it out yourself is a pretty good idea. If there's a Fry's electronics near your, that might be worth a look too, since every time i go there there's an entire aisle of keyboards on display.

m
    l
    August 28, 2009 2:27:56 PM

I have a G15. Love it, has great feedback. I don't really use the Macro keys, but it's an awesome keyboard overall. LCD screen is innovative, but nothing special. It does help to monitor hardware temps incase you're having problems.
    m
    l
    a b 4 Gaming
    August 28, 2009 2:27:59 PM

Do any of these keyboards have the ability to turn off the Windows key? I looked at the pics from Newegg of the ones you are discussing, and could not tell. I know you can do it with a registry hack, but that's more or less permanent; I want it off for games. My G11 has a switch, and for that feature alone, I love it. My left hand is very uncoordinated, so it really matters.
    m
    l
    August 28, 2009 3:38:17 PM

As far as the windows key, I know the DAS keyboards have a certain function that disables it... but that is if you are willing to pay the premium.... I use the windows key to tab in and out of games, im kinda the other way around.... If the win key does not work it basically becomes an issue for me....

m
    l
    August 28, 2009 6:28:39 PM

Er i thought the G15, or maybe g19 had a function to delet the windows key?

If I'm wrong, you could always just pop out that particular key, might leave your keyboard a bit uglier, but it would do the job.

I'm with OvrClkr though, I like using the windows key as an alt tab, though it wouldnt be a problem for me since you can alternatively just use alt tab.
    m
    l
    August 28, 2009 9:25:58 PM

yea windows key is good to get out of games if ur multitasking, which is what i do, i like to play games, and go on the web from time to time to check stuff and that windows key is perfect.
    m
    l
    a b 4 Gaming
    August 29, 2009 3:05:52 PM

I went to my local Best Buy and they didn't have any of the keyboards I like. I guess I'm down to the Lycosa, Eclipse III or the general Saitek board, with me leaning toward the Lycosa to go with my Deathadder.. :D 

I do like OvrClkr's thought of getting another GTX 260 for tri-sli and a general keyboard for the price of the G19... LOL!!
    m
    l
    August 29, 2009 5:11:58 PM

and im savin up for anthor 4850 to put it in crossfire.
    m
    l
    August 29, 2009 5:23:51 PM

Get another 260, take a new pic and swap avatars......

Unless Tri-260's is overkill for you.... I would buy that 3rd card in a heartbeat.... You will end up with enough firepower for at least 2 years.....

==========================================================

If you don't need a 3rd GPU then get the Lycosa (newegg) and if for any reason you don't like it just return it for a full refund and try another board..... It's a win-win situation anyways......
    m
    l
    August 29, 2009 5:31:03 PM

I had 2 backlit saiteks previously and I wore the cheap paint off half the keys.

I got a razor lycosa (spelling?)

6 monthes ago and havent looked back.
    the key feel takes a bit of getting used to.. you will probably typo alot until youget used to it.
    m
    l
    a b 4 Gaming
    August 29, 2009 5:51:44 PM

OvrClkr said:
    Get another 260, take a new pic and swap avatars......

Unless Tri-260's is overkill for you.... I would buy that 3rd card in a heartbeat.... You will end up with enough firepower for at least 2 years....

==========================================================

If you don't need a 3rd GPU then get the Lycosa (newegg) and if for any reason you don't like it just return it for a full refund and try another board..... It's a win-win situation anyways......

I like your thinking on both points! I think I'll get the Razer and look to add the third GTX 260 in a month. My Corsair 850TX will handle three GPU's with two adapters... right? Since it is a single rail, it won't matter which 4-pin molex connectors I use, either... correct?
    m
    l
    August 29, 2009 7:58:12 PM

Your PSU should give all 3 cards enough juice to power them up.... I saw someone here on Toms the other day that is powering dual 295's with an 850TX.....
    m
    l
    August 29, 2009 8:06:08 PM

hey wat about the 4850x2 on 550 corsair psu would that be enough??
    m
    l
    August 29, 2009 8:53:40 PM

Yea 550w is enough specially if its a Corsair.....
    m
    l
    August 30, 2009 3:23:00 AM

now would one work fine on a 23in monitor? resolution is 1920x1080 or should i get the second one soon if i want to get the 23in monitor
    m
    l
    August 30, 2009 3:32:28 AM

4850x2 should be enough for your needs.... what games do you play?
    m
    l
    August 30, 2009 1:23:43 PM

lot of games, the witcher, left 4 dead, team fortress2, age of empiers 3, perfec world, section 8, and gonna get call of duty modern warefare 2 when it comes out.
    m
    l
    August 30, 2009 1:24:50 PM

and bioshock,
    m
    l
    August 31, 2009 3:11:11 AM

yep, L4D, CoD4, CoD6 (pre-ordered) and BF2 is what I normally play......

m
    l
    August 31, 2009 3:12:18 AM

oh yup i forgot i got bf2 also, and titan quest,
    m
    l
    August 31, 2009 5:21:05 PM

hehe, my bad.... :pfff: 

Anyways are you going with Tri-260's? Or just gonna save up??

Keep us updated when you recieve your new keyboard.... take some pics too!!!! [:jaydeejohn:5]
    m
    l
    a b 4 Gaming
    August 31, 2009 8:38:21 PM

OvrClkr said:
    hehe, my bad.... :pfff: 

Anyways are you going with Tri-260's? Or just gonna save up??

Keep us updated when you recieve your new keyboard.... take some pics too!!!! [:jaydeejohn:5]

I will post pictures once I get it in...

Yeah, I'll probably look to add a third GTX 260 in late Oct. or Nov. or update to SLI with the GTX 300 cards depending on their release dates / prices...
    m
    l
        • 1 / 2
        • Newest
    !