Sign in with
Your question

Recent GTX 275 SLI Upgrade - Heat Issue

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 13, 2009 4:07:04 PM

Hi All,

I recently popped another 275 Card into my mobo for SLI. Unfortunately, on my MOBO the two PCI 2.0 are right next to each other, so SLI means I have something looking like this:

http://img193.imageshack.us/i/img00015200906122312.jpg

Question is, does having them so close together where the fan intake is blocked on the top one, mean it will overheat? I popped up Crysis for a while and was able to get one up to 85 degrees and the other to 75, I don't know if I played for hours on end if it would rise but I didn't want to try. I put a side case fan blowing directly on it but I don't know if that did much.

I've read conflicting opinions on what exactly is the safe temperature on these things. does anyone have some feedback?
a b U Graphics card
June 13, 2009 4:22:32 PM

Well those temps should be okay for those cards. I would just turn the fan speed up.
a c 271 U Graphics card
June 13, 2009 5:06:07 PM

The first thing I would is download Rivatuner and use it to determine what the temperature threshold of the GPU's are then decide whether action is required.

P.S Your picture link is borked.
Related resources
June 13, 2009 5:15:39 PM

I have two GTX 275's in SLI in an Antec 900 case and since both of my cards were almost touching I would get temps in the low 80*C range. Downloaded RivaTuner and turned fan speed up to 80% from the default 40% and now even after a couple hours of Crysis the max it ever goes is 70*C.
June 13, 2009 9:48:06 PM

OK, I popped on Rivatuner and am editing the fan speedvia Target Adapter > Customize > Low-level system tweaks. I noticed you could do it in a different method but this seemed simplest.

Question: Is the fan speed a static 40% by default regardless of temps? I noticed at 80% it got quite a bit louder, and was wondering if it raised automatically and I never noticed it before, or if it was indeed always 40%.

I put it on 65%, I'll see how that turns out.

Thanks guys
!