Anyone using Nero?

G

I've installed Nero 5 on my Win2K system. As an administrator, I can run it with no problems. But as another user, I can't even invoke it. Nero says

"You need administrator access to write a CD"

My mother and brother are logging on the system and I don't want them to have admin privilage. Anyone knows how to solve this?

BTW, the writer is a HP 8200, if that matters.

Thanx guys...

<font color=red>Apple</font color=red> <font color=blue>inside</font color=blue>, <font color=green>idiot</font color=green> <font color=purple>outside</font color=purple>...

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<font color=red>Win2k</font color=red> <font color=blue>inside</font color=blue>, <font color=green>lazy butt</font color=green> <font color=purple>outside</font color=purple>

Read Nero Help, send email to the Nero Help support if you are legitimate user, read their FAQ on line, let us know what you found out.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
Try adding them as powerusers and see if that works. You can add them as admins and then restrict their access throught the computer management utility.

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile:

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
oh well (sigh), what's the heck... i see you gonna get whole bancha "help" here... hehe, read:

<b>Nero user group and recording priviledges under NT4/Win2k</b>

Under Windows NT4 and Windows 2000 there must be a way to handle the security aspects of CD recording. CD premastering software like Nero must be able to send SCSI/IDE commands to CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drives or CD recorders capable of writing on CDs. However, from the operating system's point of view, being able to send SCSI/IDE commands to devices is a huge security problem, because software could use the SCSI/IDE commands to format the harddisk, read other user's data or create other severe problems. That is why Microsoft decided to allow low level driver access only for programs running with administrator rights. This also is why Nero 5.0 could burn CDs only under the administrator login.

Now, let's assume the situation of a Windows NT4 or Windows 2000 PC in a network environment and with many different users. Security considerations make it absolutely impossible to grant administrator rights to all. So firstly, there must be a way to allow CD recording for non-administrators and being able to decide which users may record CDs and which users may not.

The way Nero solves this problem is to allow system administrators to assign during installation a group of users the rights to record CDs on the system. If an administrator wants to allow or disallow CD recording for certain users, it is enough to make the user member of this group or to remove the group membership of that user. If everybody should get the right to record CDs, the recording rights should be assigned to the group "Users".

In some situations, it might be convenient for the administrator to change the group assigned CD recording permissions. Nero has a new property page with title "Security". This page can be opened by using the menu command "File"->"Preferences". Administrators may edit and normal users may only view the group name of the users, that have the permission to burn CDs. Any changes of these settings become effictive after the next system restart. Uninstalling Nero will cause the recording CD rights to be removed again.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

G

Thanks blah. I'm gonna try it right now.

Great help buddy :) :) :)

<font color=red>Apple</font color=red> <font color=blue>inside</font color=blue>, <font color=green>idiot</font color=green> <font color=purple>outside</font color=purple>...