Review of the Antec Basiq 500w

IMO the basiq is crap..... unless you are installing on a VERY low end " internet surfing" PC...... if you are looking for stable power the "Earthwatts" line is far more superior....

In other words if you can shell out the extra 10-15 dollars, you are better off buying something much more reliable then the basiq line.....

Regardless of that review, the real test is runing a 500w basiq 24/7 (load) and seeing how long it will hold up..

The price between a basiq 500w and a EA500 is 10.00$ more.... so in all it is obvious that the EA500 is a better buy......

I agree with prices as they are right now, but in the past i've seen the price difference between the 500w earthwatts and the Basiq 500w be over $30. With that difference in price, especially in a budget build, i'd recommend the Basiq.

I found it interesting that it was probably built by FSP for Antec. The first Antec Earthwatts 500w and the one most reviews were written about was originally built by Seasonic and then in 2008 Antec started having Delta manufacture them. They're still quality power supplies, but not the same.

Heads Up! jonnyguru.com is doing a review of the Antec Basiq BP550U power supply. The page layout is done but the review hasn't been inserted yet:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDNews&op=Story&ndns_id=3584

It will be interesting to see what the review has to say about performance

IMPORTANT UPDATE - Looks like what I thought was going to be a jonnyguru.com review is actually a brand new review over at hardwaresecrets.com. I missed the link on the jonnyguru page. here's the correct link to the brand new review:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/792/1

Ya'll gonna be in for one heck of a surprise!!!

theAnimal

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009

According to jonnyguru.com the Delta Earthwatts are better than the Seasonic:

In nearly every way I can think of, this new Delta platform is a worthy and improved successor to the older Earthwatts designs. It's better designed, regulates better, and is more efficient in general than the EA500 we last tested in January of 2007. I've heard a lot of people complaining about the move to Delta, wondering if perhaps Antec was somehow doing them wrong again, perhaps going back to the time when Antec units used to cut some corners. Well, wonder no more - if the EA650 is any indication at all, Antec has in fact improved their offerings again.

4745454b

Titan
My god, I can't believe you people. What corners were cut that make the Basiq that bad? STOP SAYING CORNERS WERE CUT! Unless you can tell me what Antec had removed, your just spreading FUD. PERIOD. As several links have been posted, the Basiqs ARE quality supplies, just nothing special. You won't get CF/SLI support, you won't get high efficiency, etc. For a system with a single video card and a couple of drives, this is an acceptable PSU.

Next, the Seasonic and Delta Earthwatts PSUs aren't that different. Yes, the delta PSUs are 22A instead of 17A, but big deal. They still have the same amount of total power available. Each PSU can supply a total of 408W/34A on the 12V rails. You shouldn't worry about Delta PSUs. They make excellent server grade PSUs, and make the signature line for Antec.

Last, the point of price has been made and it is a good one. While the Basiqs are good, if the earthwatts (or some other better PSU) is available for just a bit more, your better off with the better PSU. As Ovrclkr pointed out, an extra $5 is money well spent.