Monitor Causing Performance Drop?

Hey guys, I posted about a week ago about a good monitor to buy to replace my 15" LCD acer AL1511. I ended up buying the 24" ASUS VW246H

The problem I have is with performance. My computer can run every game I have very smooth at max graphics settings including the latest Empire:Total War, so I don't believe hardware is the issue.

My problem is that when I hooked up my ASUS monitor, I noticed a significant performance decrease. Mostly noticeable on ETW but a little bit on other games as well such as Company of Heroes and even Medieval 2: Total War.

The new monitor is better than my old one in every way so would there be a reason why, when I hook up my new monitor, I get a large decrease in performance?

Also, does anyone know of a good way to "calibrate" a monitor to get the best display? Ive been toying with it but I must be really bad at it...

Thanks in advance!

Tommy
5 answers Last reply
More about monitor causing performance drop
  1. Because the native resolution of the 24" Asus (I assume 1920 x 1080) is higher than a 15" monitor (I assume 1024 x 768).

The more pixels (higher resolution) a video card need to push the lower the performance.

Solution 1: Play games on your new monitor using the same resolution as the 15" monitor.

Solution 2: Buy a new video card.

Roundup: New Graphics Cards from $100 to $260, or How Much for FPS?
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/mainstream-roundup-2.htm:
  2. well I actually only really use the computer for gaming so I was looking for a computer with respectable resolution (anything higher than 1024x768) that wouldn't cause such a performance decrease. My video card is a 9800GT so I don't really wanna get a new one. You're advice was very helpful, do you think if I get, say a 19 or 20 inch monitor instead, at a lower native resolution, that the performance would change significantly? I'm not really sure how else to test this.

Thanks!
  3. well I actually only really use the computer for gaming so I was looking for a computer with respectable resolution (anything higher than 1024x768) that wouldn't cause such a performance decrease. My video card is a 9800GT so I don't really wanna get a new one. You're advice was very helpful, do you think if I get, say a 19 or 20 inch monitor instead, at a lower native resolution, that the performance would change significantly? I'm not really sure how else to test this.

Thanks!
  4. well I actually only really use the computer for gaming so I was looking for a computer with respectable resolution (anything higher than 1024x768) that wouldn't cause such a performance decrease. My video card is a 9800GT so I don't really wanna get a new one. You're advice was very helpful, do you think if I get, say a 19 or 20 inch monitor instead, at a lower native resolution, that the performance would change significantly? I'm not really sure how else to test this.

Thanks!
  5. sorry, didn't think it was posting before, didn't mean to post so many times
Ask a new question

Read More

Tuner Cards Performance Monitors Graphics