Asus P7P55D Evo + OCZ 3G1333LV4GK memory error problem

G

Hi,

I've been struggling to get this 4x2Gb OCZ memory set to function properly on my new Asus mb with little success. I was hoping you pros could give me a diagnose on wether it is the memory, mb or something else that fails here. All components were recently bought and are new.

Here's some background info on the system:
All hardware should be compatible (P7P55D, OCZ 3G1333LV4GK, Core i7 860, Radeon 5770 HD, Sapphire 625W PSU). The problem is likely not temperature increase- or voltage drop related. DRAM voltage, timings and frequency have been adjusted as ASUS's manual suggests on this memory. I managed to install Win7 64x but I can't get the stability issue fixed.

Problem:
1. System freezes when running a memory intensive software. Boot needed.
2. Both Windows based and boot disc memory tests give memory errors (win7 might freeze when tested).
3. The memory error count and addresses are completely random. On full mem check with a boot program, error count varies from 0-30000 errors.
4. When tested separately and in pairs, it's impossible to say if a specific memory gives more errors than the other. Error count is too random.
5. Consecutive tests on same memory set up give zero error counts or a random number of errors.
6. On graphics benchmarking, the system might freeze or the graphic card might stop answering for a while (also memory error related?)

In my opinion, these symptoms indicate that the motherboard is bad (weak contact on memory sockets, short circuiting etc.). If you find any other reason for this kind of error behaviour, I'd be pleased to hear it before sending the mb back to Asus ;) Beforehand thanks for your answers!

roonj

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
Based on your description you've done a good job in identifying the problem.
The one thing I see is "Dram voltage...adjusted as Asus manual suggests"
The voltage to the ram needs to be set to the OCZ specifications not Asus's.
Unless I misread something make sure ram voltage in bios is set to 1.65v, if you can't select that then you want 1.5v (default) plus +0.15 as 1.65 is OCZ's requirement for that ram.

G

Voltage is set to 1.65V so that's not the cause.

roboguy

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
:( Hi I also have a P7P55D EVO board brand new and I also have ram problems. I have the i7 860 2.8mhz cpu and 8 gig of corsair 1333mhz ram. My computer freezes for no aparent reason. This random but is getting worse. I pulled out all the ram and am running with 2 gig for now till i figure this out. I still get freezes but not as many. Do you think it is a mother board thing? I am about to order some patriot ram and try it.

Any suggestions...

midnighyt

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
I'm going to bump this because I'm running into a similar issue with the same board, same processor and OCZ DDR3 PC3-12800

I can't get 8 gigs of RAM to let a smooth boot go through I think I have a bad channel or something

roboguy

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
Not sure if it will help your problem, but my ram and freezing problems went away after I updated the bios.
I got the update from the asus site.

roboguy

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
It's Been a full month and not one freeze, since the bios update.
Finally my freezing problem is solved.

Thanks everyone