Adding 1 intake fan; bottom or side?

klbg

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
This might be a pretty strange question, but I'm wondering what the best place to mount an additional intake fan is. My case is the stock CM 690 II advanced, and though I'm fine with the temperatures as is and don't want to buy any more fans, I do have a spare 140mm Antec lying around. Since the case already has negative pressure (1 x 140mm intake, 1 x 140mm exhaust, 1 x 120mm exhaust), I've decided using the fan as intake will definitely be a better idea. So, I have two options.

I can add the fan to the bottom of the case, which has a removable dust filter, and will blow air up into the case next to the motherboard.
Or, I can add it to the side panel, blowing air onto the GPU and below the CPU. I can't it add to blow air directly onto the CPU (if I would I could), since the 212+ barely leaves any clearance with the side panel. It's also worth mentioning that the side panel does not have any dust filters.

Up until this point, I've used the fan on the bottom to worry less about dust getting in and to minimize noise. However, I've noticed that during gaming, as the GPU heats up, the Twin Frozr II cooler expels heat directly onto the CPU, and the CPU reaches near-Prime95 temps. Adding the fan should definitely lower GPU temps, which, I think, should help. Also, though the rubber feet on the bottom have some decent clearance with the ground, a side fan would still have access to more air (no idea if this makes a difference).

This seems a lot to write up regarding a simple question, but I couldn't find an answer by searching, so here it is.

Thanks!

klbg

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
Just an update, I tried attaching the fan to the side panel from the bottom of the case, and saw my CPU temperature rise 2-4 degrees. If I understand correctly, the side panel fan was blowing onto the GPU, and the CPU didn't benefit from that, while the bottom fan encouraged the standard airflow that passes through the CPU.

I probably should've just checked it in the first place, but it's nice to know now.