Vdavis

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
I'm trying to buy a lap top and I need help to figure out what hard disk is best for me. also I need to know what Video Ram I need. I dont play games. I need to keep schoolwork pictures and music on my computer.

Umm, laptops aren't generally do-it-yourself. It comes with HDD and Video installed.

The usages you list are not demanding at all; any decent system will do it. The only issue that I can think of is that you should make sure that you get one with a big enough hard drive for your data - do you have terabytes of music, or just a little?

So, are you buying a custom laptop online or something?

If you don't play games, or do any graphics intensive applications (which, most don't on a laptop), then you can choose more of a budget graphics package.

For the hard drive, just get something that has enough storage space. This will depend on how many pictures, songs, programs, etc, that you plan to keep on it. Pictures and songs won't take up that much space in the grand scheme of things. If this is the bulk of your storage, a 300 - 500 GB hard drive would do fine. If you can find one that has a 7200rpm drive, that would be even better.

If you find that you are filling up your hard drive, you can always offload some items to an external hard drive, flash drive, CD, etc.