Sign in with
Your question

Odd Chain of Events Leads to Lost of Sound

Last response: in Windows XP
October 28, 2011 10:59:43 AM

I am really hoping someone can help me out on this one because for the first time in fifteen years of working on computers, I’m stumped. I doubt that what occurred is common and I’ve already exhausted Microsoft’s troubleshooting and help pages.

Okay, here goes: Everything has been working fine on my pc, which still runs XP because I have a very large hard drive and do not have the time to back up all my files in order to install 7. I do all my own upgrades, repairs, etc. so I’m somewhat knowledgeable with PCs.

I purchased a wired Xbox 360 controller to use for my PC games. I downloaded the drivers first and then plugged it into my usb port. There was no response so I uninstalled the drivers for it and rebooted. That’s when things started getting weird. I was getting errors that files couldn’t be installed into folders labeled "G:\$mft". And "G:\system volume information". Well, drive G is my external hard drive and has no windows files on in at all. Also, I tried putting files on my external hdd to test it, and for the first time there was a problem transferring files. They made it 99% and stopped. I checked to make sure C is still my primary drive, and it is. All other settings concerning my drives are correct also (optimal performance on C, etc.) So I disconnected my external hdd and via the “My Computer” window, I still could see the external hdd plugged in and also could explore the files in it, I could not run any processes though.
I rebooted several times and the problem went away. Now, I have no sound. I’ve tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, made sure it was set to automatic under “services”, checked everything I could think of having to do with volume control, and nothing. I also checked the bios and everything is fine. The drivers all say that they are working correctly. In the “Sounds and Audio Devices” function found in the control panel, it states that I have no audio device. Another thing that I found out is that sometimes the uninstall function would stop responding when I was removing the drivers. I also tried “Add new hardware” to see if it would detect my onboard soundcard. The process would keep continuing and eventually I’d have to close it via Taskmanager due to it no longer responding.

The drivers that I’ve tried are ones directly from the Realtek site and also the wdma_404 driver set(which seemed to work for a lot of people, not me however). I cannot restore my pc to a previous state because I had a virus that would reoccur and I turned the function off. I forgot to turn the function back on when I removed the virus. I am trying to prevent from having to do a system restore. If that’s the only option, I may as well put 7 on it.

I’m just amazed that all of these problems were when I tried adding an Xbox 360 controller to my pc(by the way, it’s the wired kind if that matters any). I have a feeling that the installation of the controller’s drivers somehow fudged with my other drivers. I’m still at a loss as why Windows was trying to copy files to my external hdd. Anything any of you could suggest, I’m all ears. I appreciate your time and really hope you can help me out. If for some reason you need my PC specs let me know and I’ll post them.
October 31, 2011 12:20:54 AM

Wow, that's strange. To be completely honest, though, it doesn't surprise me. XP is definitely the most finnicky OS I've ever used. You can do some things so that you don't have to upgrade to 7. First you can do an in-place installation of XP-- You can install it overtop of your existing installation. Essentially that'll re-write your %windir%.

If I were you I'd also check my BIOS settings to make sure that the onboard audio didn't somehow get disabled. Even if you never messed with the settings in the first place, I'd make sure.

If push comes to shove, Windows 7 is a great upgrade from XP. I'd recommend purchasing a small ~60GB SSD for boot, therefore you won't have to mess with any of the files you have on your system already AND you get the added bonus of incredible speed.

I look forward to seeing what happens!
m
l
October 31, 2011 12:56:48 AM

@ PudgyChicken;

Quote:
XP is definitely the most finnicky OS I've ever used.

You're rather young.. aren't you? XP is the second-most bullet-proof operating system Microsoft ever produced. The most stable, rock-solid OS was NT4. The crappiest was Win95 with 'ME' close behind it.

m
l
October 31, 2011 1:31:06 AM

Never bothered using ME cause I had my trusty companion 98. Never used 95 cause I was using 3.1 and didn't feel like upgrading till 98 came out. I skipped over 2k and ME and got XP, and used it for about 7 years. Having used it for so much longer than its predecessors I had more issues with it.

So no, I'm not "rather young," just rather lucky to have missed the worst of the Windows.
m
l
October 31, 2011 1:35:34 AM

crapka2000 said:
I am really hoping someone can help me out on this one because for the first time in fifteen years of working on computers, I’m stumped.

<snip>

Umm.. where'd you get XP drivers for an Xbox 360 controller? Never mind... damage done.

Make hidden hardware show in device manager;
Start>control Panel>system>Advanced>Environment Variables>User variables for {user}>New

Type devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices for the Variable Name. Under Variable Value, type “1″ and click OK. Click OK twice more to apply your changes and exit the System Properties dialog box

Now open device manger and click 'View" and select 'Show hidden devices'.

Expand "Non-Plug and Play Drivers" and look for your Xbox items and right-click and delete any you find.
Look for weird things in Ports; Sound, Video and Game controllers. Look in System Devices too

You can also look for the Audio systems you have and see if it appears complete. If it is a newer computer with HD sound, it probably needs Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Sound or you won't get sound (under System Devices). Since it is your sound that got knocked out, look at everything needed to make it work, including if you have/need the SMBus controller driver too and it would do no harm to re-install your chipset drivers..

The Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Sound is included in SP3, but if you need that driver, you can get it
HERE

These things will get you started. Check back.

m
l
October 31, 2011 1:39:44 AM

PudgyChicken said:
Never bothered using ME cause I had my trusty companion 98. Never used 95 cause I was using 3.1 and didn't feel like upgrading till 98 came out. I skipped over 2k and ME and got XP, and used it for about 7 years. Having used it for so much longer than its predecessors I had more issues with it.

So no, I'm not "rather young," just rather lucky to have missed the worst of the Windows.

In that case, your statement that XP is the most finnicky you ever used, is accurate. :) 

You did miss out on some 'trying times' not using Win95, it sucked. [:tigsounds]
m
l
!